Chapter One Hundred and Four

Abby hung up her phone after giving out some orders, and turned to look at Finn. He still hadn't woken up from his coma, but the doctors had assured her that everything was looking good. She wasn't sure how much she could hope. Not after everything, and not after seeing him as his heart gave out on him.

If I kiss you it means that I am so out of my fucking mind that I can't stand being around you without doing it.

Now that the adrenaline had worn off and there was nothing to do but wait, those words replayed over and over in her head. She didn't know what to expect from that fight, but that was not it.

Teenage her would have dropped to her knees hearing those words, but adult her had a hard time believing them. It wasn't like Finn was untrustworthy or a liar. It was more the question of why? Or why now?

Part of her thought this was a trauma response. Finn had forced his father out of the city. He had taken control of the Malone empire. Then, he lost his youngest sister all while his other sister had been taken.

Abby thought back to the night before they went on the offensive and stormed the tunnels. She had never seen Finn like that. Completely broken, barely able to breathe through the pain.

It had hurt her. Physically, emotionally, she felt his pain.

That night, she held him while he cried, while he slept. It was the closest they had been since high school. When his mother had died and when she had lost her father, they had spent a lot of nights next to each other. It hadn't been romantic, although her feelings weren't strictly platonic. It was for comfort. They got each other. In Abby's eyes, Finn was the only one that could understand her pain.

They had built their future off that connection. It never wavered, strengthening throughout the years, molding into a partnership that exceeded.

Was she willing to risk it all? Just for a chance at being with him? What would the rest of their clan think of it? Would they still take her seriously? Abby had worked fucking hard to gain the respect of their men, and she refused to let that slip away from her.

As much as she wanted to believe Finn, there was too much at risk to jump into a relationship with him. She did know that he would never purposely hurt her or lead her on, but what if he had convinced himself that she was what he wanted and in reality she wasn't?

It wasn't just her reputation and authority on the line. Could she take it if he did end up regretting crossing that line with her?

Right now all that had happened was a kiss. They could continue on as they were after that. Once they went further, once she let her heart fall for him, Abby wasn't sure she could stay by his side as his lieutenant.

With a heavy sigh, she sat down in the chair next to his bed and said, "You really made a mess of things before you went and got yourself almost killed."

Of course, there was no answer.

Her phone rang, interrupting her train of thought. "Hey, Rowan." She said after picking up.

"We've got a problem." His deep voice warned.

Abby straightened up immediately. "Go on."

"Emilio Castellan was spotted on the north side."

"Fuck." She cursed, standing up and pacing. Emilio Castellan was the Port City gangster that Cillian Malone had teamed up with recently. "You don't think they're striking now, do you?"

"It would be ideal with Finn out of commission." Rowan said.

"Yeah, but would Cillian's pride allow him to do that?" She asked.