Chapter One Hundred and Nine

"Son."

Finn turned his back to the explosive lined door, and addressed his father, "You do realize that would have killed both of us, right?"

"It would be poetic, don't you think?" Cillian said casually, still seated at the head of the table. "A father and son both going up in flames after turning on each other."

"I've never considered you the poetic type, honestly."

A smirk appeared on the older man's face. He gestured to a seat, saying, "Come join me."

"I think I'm good where I am."

"If you say."

Finn narrowed his eyes. "What is this? You're acting different."

"Am I?" Cillian questioned lightly. "Let me ask you, son: Have I always been a monster to you? You can't see me as anything else, right? That's why you think me being civil is so strange."

"No," he refused, "it's different."

And he was. The Cillian Malone that sat in front of him was different. His father had always been cold, ruthless, a darkness surrounding him. This man was calm, an air of confidence that didn't scream arrogant, but peaceful. Something that he didn't deserve.

"Maybe I've have time to reflect." He said.

"I doubt that."

They stared at each other for a long time. Finn's finger twitched against the trigger of his gun, but he didn't shoot. There was something stopping him, and he wondered - not for the first time - if he could do this. Could he really kill his father?

"What happened to us, son?" Cillian broke through the silence.

Finn tensed. "What do you mean?"

"How did we end up like this?" He opened his arms in gesture. "At each other's throats. Ready to kill one another. We're family, Finn."

"Family?" He scoffed.

"Yes, we are. Regardless of whether you like it or not." Cillian tapped his finger on the old wooden table. "I raised you into the man you are. We've fought side by side, grown the empire together. You were everything I ever wanted in an heir."

"I didn't realize that reflecting on your life's choices would make you so sentimental." Finn said dryly.

Cillian continued, "You know, you've impressed me greatly in all this mess. I heard you took down those Russians. Good job."

"Those Russians were responsible for abducting Ivy and killing Cara." Finn told him, clenching his jaw. "Or did you forget about that part of your family?"

With a frown, he looked down. "Things were different for them. They took after their mother-"

"Don't you dare speak of her." He interrupted furiously. This man had no right.

Sighing, Cillian said, "I was hoping we could put the past behind us."

"And do what?" Finn actually laughed.

This time, his father took a moment to answer. Finn didn't know what he exactly wanted to hear from his father. He didn't know why he was still listening to him. The place was loaded with explosives that could go off at any time, yet he was rooted in place.

Finally, his father stood up. Finn reacted quickly, backing away and pointing his gun straight at him. Cillian just grinned. "C'mon, son, we can have a conversation without threatening the others life, can't we?"

"I'm not so sure about that." Finn stated clearly, keeping his aim straight.

Cillian nodded, "Fine. Keep your little gun." He didn't look the least bit bothered by it being pointed directly at him. "I knew by picking this place that you would come. You would know that I would be here and send the others off to those other places that your rat told you of. By the way, whoever they are is good. I knew there was a rat within Castellan's ranks but could never quite figure out who they were."