Chapter 31: Cross-Purposes Part 1

Outskirts of Esthirant, Parpaldia Empire

February 14, 1641

An abandoned castle stood just on the outskirts of Esthirant. A relic of a time when the lands around it belonged to what was once known as the Kingdom of Parneus. The grassy fields outside lazily swayed in the chilly night as the radiant moon above illuminated the ground below.

Beyond the front gates of the castle compound, stood a single stone bridge with a guardhouse on both sides. Surrounding the castle were trees and shrubs that was once the personal playground for children of nobility before the main residence of the monarch was relocated deeper into Esthirant. Hiding beneath the vegetation were 8-men don from head to toe in black tactical gear. They were Pocong team, one of the two Scout Ranger teams assigned to Esthirant supporting SID operations following the evacuation of USEA's embassy complex months ago.

Pocong team leader, Gunawan, a 26-year-old native of the city of Makassar observes the guard standing on his side of the bridge through a green tint. His night vision binoculars illuminating his team's potential infiltration path into the castle just as his BR18 bullpup rifle remained holstered by his side. Just as Gunawan was about to reach for his radio to signal for the marksmen in his team to take synchronize shots at the guards on the bridge, blue tracers streaked from their right side and struck down the guards with impunity.

<<All Pocong elements standby we have a situation here.>>

As though without wasting any time, the same blue traces emerged from the right side and cut down 4 guards who stood watch near the main gate. A few minutes passed before Gunawan soon sees several figures emerging from the shadows of the treeline. By using his binoculars, he could see about 8-men emerge from the darkness and made their way slowly and carefully towards the main gate. In their hands he could spot bullpup style firearms of various sizes with what looked like a large suppressor mounted at the end of the barrel, their clothes appeared to take on a triangular camouflage pattern, and their helmets utilized a face shield that that covered their faces with the exception of a slit to allow the users to see through.

<<Watchtower this is Pocong actual. Guards to the objective eliminated by unknowns please advise over.>> reported Gunawan back to headquarters just as he observes the 6 men of the 8-man team near the gates slowly open it and proceeded through with their weapons drawn. The remaining two began to drag the dead bodies away in an attempt to hide them.

As Gunawan observed what was happening near the castle through the green tinted view of his night vision binoculars, he gets a response from command.

<<Pocong actual this is Watchtower. You are to proceed into the castle immediately and eliminate any unknowns and Parpaldians you come across. Intelligence believes those unknowns are from another nation and are after Objective Cormorant. You must retrieve the objective before they do. Watchtower out.>>

Following the orders that were relayed from command to all the headsets of Pocong team, the rustling of leaves followed as the 8-man team of Scout Rangers got into position on the edge of the treeline.

"Alright here's the deal, 2 to 4 will follow me in as we hustle it into the castle and retrieve Objective Cormorant. 5 to 8 will provide overwatch and warn us of any incoming reinforcements. 7 and 8 take out the enemy sentries on my mark."

He could hear his team members he refers to as 7 and 8 prepare their Pindad SS3 rifles as they were the relegated marksmen of Pocong Team. As they got ready, one of Gunawan's subordinates slowly crawls up to him.

"Sir we're outnumbered if go in with only 4 guys. Its 4 against 6 are you sure about this?"

Gunawan turned his head to his left and looks to the young scout ranger who brought up his concerns about what was planned to happen. He gives a slight smirk as he gave his response.