Chapter 11: Towers of Glass In The Lion City

"A nation is great not by its size alone. It is the will, the cohesion, the stamina, the discipline of its people and the quality of their leaders which ensure it an honourable place in history."

-Lee Kuan Yew

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Antonio Luna Base, Qua-Toyne Principality

February 18, 1640

"Very well, shall we begin?"

Remille and the Parpaldia delegation began by opening the pamphlets that were neatly arranged on the table in front of them as Prime Minister Sue Hui began speaking. She began telling the story of what had transpired before, during, and after the transfer and the subsequent war with Louria.

The expressions from the delegation ranged from amusement to seriousness. Some were so close to either bursting into laughter or exploding into anger at what they perceive was a joke meant to humiliate the Empire. But Remille glared at anyone she felt was about go out of line, her face of intimidation instils fear in those who have worked with her in the past.

...

One by one, members of the Parpaldia delegation were closing the pamphlets that were given to them. The pamphlets were a brief history of USEA, as well as general knowledge such as population and military size. Remille cleared her throat before speaking after Sue Hui finished.

"That is a very...interesting tale Prime Minister, but one I am inclined to believe after what I have seen. I will have to relay what you have said back to the emperor in Esthirant, but I believe that our two nations can work together to ensure lasting peace in this part of the world. After all, we have both defeated a reprehensible enemy that was Louria. Surely we can find more common ground."

As Prime Minister Sue Hui nodded in agreement, an army officer from the Parpaldia Empire, part of the diplomatic delegation, spoke to bring up an issue that was relayed from Supreme Commander Arde before they made the journey to Rodenius. After a nod of approval from Remille, he began speaking.

"And what is USEA's plan for the continent of Rodenius. Based on the size and scale of this base it seems you plan to make your presence heard here."

Prime Minister Sue Hui turned to her Minister of Defence, Arief, and motioned him to begin his explanation. Arief, with a dignified voice began laying out the long-term plans USEA had planned for the continent.

"During the war against Louria, there was a fear that they might one day rebuild their armies and begin a second invasion. As a result, the Prime Minister of Qua-Toyne, Kanata, had approached our government to request for a defence treaty. This treaty was further expanded when we met with King Quila. The treaty stipulates that an attack on either one of our three countries would be considered an attack on all, and all signatories are obliged to provide support. That is why we have started to permanently station troops in Qua-Toyne and Quila, it not only serves as a symbol of our commitment to the defence of our newfound allies but also one of deterrence. But of course, these plans were drawn up when Louria could still be considered a threat in the future, with them gone and the Parpaldia Empire occupying the former Lourian nation, anything is on the table really."

Which is a lie. The only reason why USEA agreed to this defence treaty in the first place was because the Lourian prisoners squealed and talked about how Parpaldia was the one that trained and armed them years ago to invade Qua-Toyne and Quila. This treaty is meant to deter Parpaldia, not Louria.

The Parpaldia Army Officer nodded, satisfied with the answer given to him. Sue Hui again smiled to Remille before speaking.

"I believe we can form a productive relationship between our two nations. We had always prided ourselves of being a nation most people can trade with, regardless of ideological and cultural differences."