Chapter 20: Storm Clouds over Esthirant

Qua-Toyne Army Base, near the Gim Border Crossing, Qua-Toyne countryside

August 29, 1640

It was a hot morning as the sun beamed down upon the Louria-Qua-Toyne border as, yet another day began in this part of the world. Separating the two nations, the former being occupied and administered by the Parpaldia Empire, was a 400m wide demilitarized zone.

Just beyond the metal fences that marked the territory belonging to the Qua-Toyne Principality, several buildings stood behind a wall of HESCO barriers with only a single opening to allow vehicles to enter and exit. The Principality's flag freely fluttered in the wind as the sounds of gunfire resonated in the air.

"Alright! Alright! Cease fire! Cease Fire!" yelled Major Ine as the Qua-Toyne soldiers at the firing line halted firing their M-16 rifles. They removed the magazine, ejected the round in the chamber and switched on the rifle's safety before holstering their rifles.

As she was observing the soldiers beginning to get in line, a sudden 'bang' sound was heard in the distance causing many to turn their heads towards the direction of that sound. It came from the border crossing. As Ine tried to grasp what might had just happened, she could hear various shouts coming from the crossing. Soon, other Qua-Toynian soldiers were seen running towards the border crossing with rifles in hand and their green helmets on.

Now, the base's speakers began blaring orders.

<<Stand to! Stand to! All units stand to! Assume defensive positions!>>

A young private then runs up to Ine before giving a crisp salute to her which was promptly returned in kind by Ine.

"Major Ine, command says they want your battalion to take up positions at the border crossing. Parpaldian border troops just fired a warning shot after someone from Louria ran across the border and entered Qua-Toyne territory."

Ine blinked a few times as the order and report were being explained to her. Her head was now filled with scenarios as to why the Parpaldians would resort to such brash actions if they were after a single person.

Without wasting time, she acknowledges the order that was given to her and began gathering her battalion to begin setting up positions at the border crossing in anticipating of an escalation of violence.

Just as she was informing the NCOs of her battalion through her handheld radio on what happened, several Humvees belonging to a Qua-Toyne Army Military Police unit began rolling out of the base and two Apache attack helicopters belonging to USEA flew overhead towards the border crossing that was now the scene of a standoff.

...

Moments before

The border crossing was usually the sight of merchants and adventurers travelling back and forth between the two territories for various reasons. The morning sun would've marked the beginning of yet another uneventful day as border guards from both sides, Parpaldian and Qua-Toynian, would be patrolling their respective boundaries.

But just as the day began, and the border crossing was opened, a lone girl ran across the border just as she was about to get checked by border guards on the Parpaldian controlled side. She squeezed through the border guards and ran as fast as she could towards the Qua-Toyne Principality, ignoring the shouts and warnings of the Parpaldians as they readied their muskets.

Seeing this event unfold, the Qua-Toynian border guards immediately began getting into defensive positions behind sandbags while one soldier readied a Humvee's top mounted STK 50MG heavy machine gun and pointed it at the pursuing Parpaldians as some began raising the barrels of their muskets and pointed it towards the Qua-Toynian border guards and soldiers.