Chapter 6: Operation Homecoming

"We are waiting for the long-promised invasion. So are the fishes"

-Winston Churchill

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Outskirts of The Coast of Maihark, Louria occupied Qua-Toyne

January 24, 1640

It was just after midnight and the moon in the sky was obscured by a never-ending cover of dark clouds. Maihark, along with the surrounding area was suddenly enveloped in a storm since night fell. In a treeline overlooking the pristine sandy beaches just outside the city, a lone Lourian soldier stands guard at the wooden palisade walls Infront of him. Despite the ferocity of the storm, the ballista emplacement he was stationed in, stood against it, a testament to the construction effort the Lourians had done a week prior.

Despite the howling winds and battering rain, the Lourian soldier peers over the wooden palisade wall, hoping to spot anything out of the ordinary. Nothing of interest, as he scanned the horizon. Just as he was about to go back and take shelter from the rain and wind, a bright light flashed in the distance, and suddenly, his consciousness faded to black. Operation Homecoming had begun.

...

UNS Kinabatangan, Offshore Maihark, Louria occupied Qua-Toyne

January 24, 1640

Ine sat inside an AV8 Gempita Amphibious Armoured Vehicle, holding on to her M1 Garand. She was dressed in her standard khaki uniform but now with a matching PASGT helmet instead of a boonie hat, along with a backpack. Beside and across from her were members of the same unit, part of Alpha Company of the Free Rodenius Forces. They would represent the pride of the Qua-Toyne and Quila people as they, along with their USEAN allies carry the torch of liberation as they return to their homeland.

The sound of water gushing into the well decks of the Irrawaddy-Class Landing platform dock was heard from even inside the AV8 as it started to move. Suddenly the passengers aboard the AV8 felt a sudden drop. The AV8 had driven into the open ocean from the flooded well deck and switched to its two rear mounted propellers as it makes its way to the beach.

Scenes like this were replicated all along the coastline around Maihark. The Irrawaddy-Class ships disgorged several AV8s transporting the first wave of the 147th Marine Brigade while on the flight decks, AH-64DS Apaches took off to provide close air support for the troops taking part in the landings.

The sound of thunderstorms was occasionally drowned out as AV-8S Harriers, taking off from the carriers Ayutthaya and Champa, flew overhead to bomb targets further inland.

Aboard the UNS Surabaya, a Singapore-Class Frigate, the personnel in the CIC continuously monitor the landing zones with the aid of several ScanEagle UAVs. Their job was to soften the coastal defences before the infantry hit the ground. The ScanEagle UAVs, a product of Boeing and given to USEA in huge numbers to bolster its maritime security, were now being used to direct gunfire from the frigates off the coast.

The UAVs had a high-resolution camera capable of observations in both normal and thermal imagery. Ever so often in the treelines overlooking the landing zones, a single or even a few white signatures would be seen poking above the walls. This gave the gun operator in the CIC a clear target, and with a squeeze of the trigger, a 76mm shell is fired at the Lourian defenders. To avoid civilian casualties, coastal bombardment was prohibited when near and in Maihark. Fire support requests against targets in Maihark itself would be dealt with by any available AH-64s.

...

A sound of an explosion shook the AV8 Ine was in. Startled. She turned to the commander of the vehicle.