Chapter 19: The Die is Cast

Outskirts of Esthirant, Parpaldia Empire

August 5, 1640

"Thank you so much for the help, everyone!"

"I won't forget the kindness you've all shown us!"

The sounds of cheering and even cries of happiness can be heard across an almost empty refugee camp situated on the outskirts of the capital of the Parpaldia Empire just as another caravan set forth, packed with refugees who fled during the demonic invasion of the Philades months prior.

When the demons broke through the doors of the world and began marching south, scores of refugees turned up on the doorsteps of the nations to the south of the Philades, most notably Parpaldia. Although some of the refugees believed they would be turned away from seeking safety within Parpaldia's borders, they were surprised when they were told that they can temporarily seek refuge within. They began setting up large communal camps on the outskirts and often travelled to Parpaldia proper to look for work or just to attain food and water.

Initially, many of them fell prey to companies that specialise in slavery or sex trafficking but thankfully, many were rescued when slavery was outlawed and a crackdown on illegal sex trafficking was carried out.

Standing along the dirt road while waving at the caravan as it bypassed her was a silver-haired woman donned in a red dress. Her smile stretched ear to ear as she waved at the passing horse drawn carts that were now carrying the refugees back to their homes that had been cleared by the allied coalition.

She wandered why she never bothered doing this in the first place. To her it felt good to her heart knowing that she was able to mobilise people to help those in need. It felt even better now that she was seeing the refugees finally leaving to reclaim their homes and start anew.

As she waved on, she was interrupted by someone calling her name from behind. She turned around and came face to face with a young man in his early 20s.

"Ah Maximilian, how can I help you?"

"Greetings Madame Remille, I believe you can retire for today. Dark clouds are starting to roll in and I wouldn't want you getting caught in the rain."

She smiled back at the young man who's in his early 20s.

"Oh, its fine Maximilian, I will leave once the last of today's caravan has departed." Remille said as she waved to yet another cart, this time carrying a family of 6. As the caravan passed them, she turned her gaze back at the young man.

"Is something wrong?"

"I never really got a chance to say thank you for what you've done. It was only thanks to your pension reforms that my father was able to get me a proper education."

"Like I said, its fine Maximilian, if you really want to thank me, you can help by preserving this new golden age for us. Get more young people to understand what our ideals are, help those who could pioneer new ideas that can benefit the Parpaldian nation, and.... hmm that's all I could think of as of now, but I'm pretty sure you get the idea on what you could do to thank me."

Maximilian could only smile at her answer just as the rays of sunlight were suddenly blocked above by dark clouds. He wandered, without Remille's reforms, where would he be? Still a farmer somewhere in the countryside he imagined. Illiterate and probably oblivious to what's going on around the world.

With those thoughts, he strengthened his resolve to ensure this dream of a new golden age for Parpaldia would continue. But more importantly, he would do everything he could so that it is a Parpaldia that Madame Remille would one day see.