Chapter 7: Race Against Time

"The only real prison is fear, and the only real freedom is freedom from fear."

-Aung San Suu Kyi

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lean Know Forest, Louria occupied Qua-Toyne

January 27, 1640

The sounds of war filled the morning air of the once untouched sacred woodlands of the Lean Know Forest. The sound of metals clashing, the screams of the dying, and the cries of the helpless drowned out the sounds of the birds chirping and insects buzzing under the morning sun. In the midst of battle, a lone middle-aged man was seen holding on to his sword, as 4 Lourian swordsmen slowly approach him with their own blades drawn. Believing that his time was up, the middle-aged man simply closed his eyes for a second before smiling, thankful that he if he were to die now, it would be in battle as a soldier rather than as a slave.

He carefully scans the 4 Lourians slowly approaching him, he could tell the left most one will most probably be the one to attempt to strike him down first. He adjusts his posture slightly to meet the left most Lourian, preparing to parry his blade before stabbing him with a dagger with his other hand.

Suddenly, they could hear a myriad of explosions erupt behind the Lourians before roars of thunder filled the sky. As he and the Lourians looked up to the wide blue yonder through a small opening in the forest canopy, they could barely catch glimpses of what looked like black birds travelling at incredible speeds, leaving the same roars of thunder as they flew away.

The middle-aged man and the Lourians however soon regained their focus. Whatever happened just now is of little importance to their own personal battle. Before the Lourians could charge at the middle-aged man, a volley of arrows rained down on the Lourians, striking all 4 down in one fell swoop. The middle-aged man turned his head and could see several elven and human archers emerge from behind a thicket of bushes. A black hair human female approached the middle-aged man before promptly saluting him, causing the others behind her to do the same.

"General Nou, apologies for being late. The Lourian advance near the left flank was slow and we had to wait from them to enter the kill zone to properly utilize our bows."

The middle-aged man now identified as Nou simply raised his hand at the female archer.

"No worries, they still fell right into our trap. Now about those explosi- "

Before General Nou could complete his sentence, more sounds of explosions occurred from the east, followed by the deafening sounds produced by the mysterious black birds as they fly over the Lean Know Forest. The sudden sounds caused the group to be startled for a bit, but General Nou simply looked up to the sky and smiled before speaking.

"As I was saying, let me ask you all this, do you have any idea what those explosions represent?"

The female archers looked to one another in confusion, some shook their heads unable to come up with a response. General Nou kept his smile as he lowered his gaze towards them.

"That my fellow soldiers, are the sounds of salvation."

The archers now had a shocked expression painted on their faces. But before anyone could say anything, Nou points his finger to one of the male humans.

"You! Get to the nearest magicom and inform the other formations those explosions belong to the Emissaries of the God Sun! They have finally arrived, and not a moment too soon. Tell the soldiers to keep fighting with everything they got, for all we need to do now is continue fighting until they get here!".