37.Ash painting the road

Demon stared at him fighting with the urge to kill. Well, that was nearly impossible to not notice. Good that he can see but It seems that the spirit will be useless.

-Do you have anything  useful ?-he asked without much hope.-Something that will help us find him ?

The spirit shook his head as the words poured from his mouth and that was the moment Shen Yuan stoped listening to the blabbering. If what he said earlier about that black hound was the truth... it can't be anything good. Meeting such a creature was really rare, don't mention taming and training it. The man wasn't a simple character. ,,What mess did that Byakko jumped into ?'' He frowned pressing his lips into thin line. The spirit noticed and stoped talking when he realised that he wasn't listened.

-Firstly, let's find the clues left by the animal.-he said intensely staring at the floor.

-Ya' hoping to find paw prints on that hard stone ?-he said in this wry style of his.-The priest couldn't even feel that beast energy.

The heavy shrine's door abruptly opened. The Demon wordlessly caught a hold on the Flame and hid behind one of the pillars at once. The arriver in blue robes approached and knelt in front of the now broken altar. It was High Priest Ming. His pure and rich aura is something exceptional among the people.

-You who protect merchants on their roads and travellers in their faraway wandering and those who pray to you. This lowly believer is offering You his life and awaits your orders till death. I pray to you for Byakko safety and his return. I beg to grant this lowly one's wishes.-the words were loud and echoed a few times in a huge hall making it sound strangely mighty and enchanting. The Demon listened attentively. ,,You'' was of course Qinxe - god of protection who took care of travellers.

-Let's get going.-the spirit whispered. Well, there wasn't anything more he wanted to hear. Jumping in space wasn't an option since he would be sensed by the priest. He tip-toed in the direction of the entrance silently like the master should. The priest's head whipped around.

-WHO'S IN HERE ?!-he spoke loudly and calmly, but before he caught a glimpse of black-clad man Shen Yuan dashed outside. Fight with him now is not welcome.

-We will be more careful now.-said the spirit as they passed through the side mansion right to the garden.

-Not my business.-he replied lazily. Black ball jumped around his foots nonstop informing that Byakko is too far to use spell.

The awkward silence between the two was really heavy. They were forced to cooperate so naturally they were displeased. But the well-ghost seemed more troubled by this. He flew all around and just couldn't find a place for himself. For him separating from Byakko was something more. His life depended on him !

Shen Yuan was deeply annoyed  but like a buddha remained silent. He gave the black ball a silent order and it vanished.

-How long you know him ?-he broke the silence. Well-ghost stared at him doubtfully. Where was a hook ?

-Quite long.-he said avoiding the question.

The Demon nodded.

Once again this silence...

But this time no one wanted to be freed from it. After a while brave black ball returned and tried it's best to report.

-Clue, earth... fire !-it said jumping excitedly.  Finally some lead !

-You always use those spirits ?

-Well, it depends if useful. If they weren't useful then what's the point in ordering them around ?-he said closely following the black ball.

-Is he the same ?-blue flame erupted higher.

-Who knows.

They really saw a ,,clue''. But that wasn't paw print. Spiritual beasts don't weight much so there was only ash blew around by passing people.

-They rode it ? How no one saw ?

The Demon shook his head.

-It was hidden. They wouldn't make it out of the palace if not. Besides there would be prints from weight.

The spirit brightened in understanding.

Proper chase started now ! The Demon made sure to erase clues already read. The priest wasn't welcome to follow. He had a plan for the rescue. Why would it fall because of a single stupid human ?