13.Who shall Drink and Who shall Die

He didn't have much choice now that his presence got discovered. He pushed the door open.

The ghost vanished tight this second.

The room was exactly the same as all the other dozen he saw before. Except the resident on the sofa. The demon was lazily sprawled with one leg crossed over the other, leaning on the rest with his head stretched back and an empty cup in one hand. He didn't even open his eyes when Shi Shuan entered.

'Why not come inside? You are already half a way in. Don't stand like a stanchion, take a seat. It is rude of the host to sit while the guest is standing like a guard dog.'

Shi Shuan didn't enter the room and didn't get angry at the remark, 'Thanks. But I'd still prefer to stay standing.' He said with smile that couldn't be more fake and continued to stand awkwardly.

The demon didn't speak again.

'I have a question.' finally Shi Shuan choked out quietly.

'What is it?' the eyes cracked open and grilled him until he lost all his courage.

'Where is... the bathroom?' he chocked out in one go.

The other stayed silent for a good while.

'The door opposite, a bit to the left.' he made a small gesture with his hand in the direction of the corridor.

Shi Shuan didn't spare him any time and strode to open the door. Behind was indeed a bathroom.

'Tsk. So close.' One more try and he would have preserved his dignity. But there's no point in crying over the spilled milk.

When he was done he paused in front of the door. He was torn. He had questions to ask, but he felt like every minute spent with the demon made his mind regress. Entering without good reasons would jar with his rule number one: avoid porn, avoid gambling, avoid Shen Yuan.

Actually he didn't need to know anything. He won't be staying here for long anyway. His luck will run out eventually and he will return to the dirt he came from.

Nevertheless, he returned to his previous post by the door.

'Shall I also show you to your room or perhaps the door?' The demon teased with all the courtesy needless when he came back.

Shi Shuan stood tall and straight in the door. His gaze was blazing; the message was clear: open your mouth again and I will kill.

'Take a seat.' the demon offered again, this time Shi Shuan listened.

'Do you want some? I heard war gods know how to enjoy good wine.' time to guide him out of this fallacy.

'Thanks, but no.' he rejected gently falling on the couch.

The Demon hummed in displeasure and refilled his own glass. Then he snapped his fingers and the shadows of the room gained eyes. Little black ghosts floated another filled glass over. Shi Shuan took the glass and sniffing at it confirmed it wasn't alcohol. It was just a normal herbal tea. He took a sip, slightly sweet liquid spread warmth through his body.

Skipping the awkward silence it was the most peaceful moment he had outside the palace walls. He could quietly stare outside the window at the beautiful sights of snowy mountains suffused in crimson fog of the setting sun, no one was there to bother him. He enjoyed the blissful peace. 

'So... what do you need my help with?' he averted his eyes from the sun, that just hid behind the peaks and focused on matters at hand. His tea has already grown cold.

The demon shifted to a more business-like position. Even though he was sitting properly and quietly, he still gave off such an oppressive aura, like a hunched dragon. Red wine reflected in his coal eyes gave them a vicious crimson glint.