26.Familiar voice inside my head

They started moving, but for Shi Shuan felt like eternity. No familiar images, only bunch of torrents wading through old riverbeds. Not much of interesting view when after time of a few incenses burning his back started to ache. Wonderful ! But he should be glad. There were whole masses of infantry. More than sorry for them he felt respect. After all, who would willingly walk that many kilometres on foot ? One of the generals, the one with remarkable curled moustache said that there is week on horse left to capital, but did he included infantry ? Well, we will wait and see. By now there were first people complaining about their legs. Two or eight could be ignored but not dozens of them so they decided to rest an the foot of the valley.

-Des my lord need something ?-warm voice returned him to reality.

Only then did he noticed familiar priest smiling at him.

-We could always-

Shi Shuan denied shaking his head. Only thing he wanted now was talk without those ridiculous titles. Was it that hard to understand how he hated those ? Specially when he didn't deserve any of them. My lord ? Merciful God ? Byakko ? Mentally he was only nondescript high school boy, the one everyone avoided like disaster. They were expecting too much of him.

His vision filled outstretched hand holding a cup of water. Lifting his ghost like gaze he was met with still smiling High Priest. It was so annoying. Haw can he still smile ?

He received the cup and thanked bowing a little but wasn't going to touch the cup with his lips. Within the slightest movement he felt the wound. He was scared to think what would happen if he would drink something.

Seeing his reaction the other carefully sat down next to him not overstepping the boundary. Byakko only averted his gaze.

-May I take a look my lord ? I've got strong medicine so I could help.-Shi Shuan irritated only refused once more. But... why won't he let him take a look ? There wasn't any reason to hide last night's event ! Shouldn't he know about it ?

Even if he wanted telling the whole story wasn't an option. Drinking water was frightening so what about saying even one sentence ? So annoyingly powerless.

They stayed like that silently until the priest was summoned by the prince about something ,,urgent''. When left alone the idea of sending some energy for well-ghost popped out. He felt better now... well physically. So why not give it a try ? He wasn't lacking in spiritual energy anyway.

Finding quiet spot he immediately tried.  It was much easier now when he didn't passed out after one minute. He continued until he felt that this was his limit. His eyes wanted to close and his head was spinning. Did I overdone again ?-he thought frowning supporting on the tree. Shit, it would look suspicious.

-Foolish idiot.-he heard quiet voice inside his head startling him awake.-Save your energy. Don't throw it left and right. 'Ya know how long will it take for you to recover ? No imagination at all.

It was hard to cover relief and bliss he felt. His efforts weren't in vain. Good to know. After what happened yesterday at the back of his mind nagging doubt appeared : Would he hear that voice ever again ? Even the Demon so, he couldn't stop bothering. ,,How are you ?''-he thought to well-ghost. But only received silence. He didn't hear him ? Or didn't want to answer ?

Never mind. Those few words were enough to make him rest under the tree at ease until order to move.

Pretending that he wasn't sleepy went good but his aura betrayed him. Previously pouring out and bright now lost in the crowd. When he pushed himself to the limit for the third time it was hard not to notice somethings off. The priest immediately noticed drastic change. Earlier today Byakko's energy was already weak but not it was nearly vanishing.

Trying to find out what's going on he carefully observed and repeatedly rode his horse closer. But being dismissed with slight move of head and cold face it was really hard to make sense of it.

Defeated he sighed. He felt bad not being able to help but he didn't dare to question someone of Godly status.

-High Priest ?-someone in the front was looking for him.

It seemed it was the prince. He unhappily left Byakko's side sending him a long glance which didn't go unnoticed. Shi Shuan was well aware of his gaze from some time but feeling drained and barley managing to not fall of the horse he didn't have a strength to bother. His wandering thoughts didn't give him any answers only more questions.

-High Priest is observing you.-whispered the voice in his head.-Careful.

Then it quieted for the rest of the day.