22.Medical help

When they reached medical tents there wasn't time for looking around, they walked straight in. They didn't wait long before one of the priests with hand busy with bandages waved at them.

-Follow me, my lords. Every pair of hands is welcomed.-he passed Byakko the bandages and tried to pick the worst injured to treat, but looking around everyone needed help same. Missing limbs were the most common case. Sometimes eye, other time leg or hand. Bandages wrapped around the wounds were all soaked through, droplets of blood dripping down into puddles the smell would make veterans vomit. Truly heartrending sight.

As no one told him what to do he just looked at the others working, sometimes putting clean bandages beside them thought he didn't know if the even needed one. There was only one thing that he felt relieved about : no one required for him to take care of the injured. Maybe they didn't made him to because of his status as a war god but it was wise choice. He was hopeless at attending patients. Three out of four patients would visit yellow springs if left in his hands.

But the worst were expressions : twisted in pain but filled with hope. They weren't something he was used to. Only patients he was used to were quiet and peaceful people from sanatorium he lived near in his childhood. But he should take responsibility for being war god and adapt ! Who have seen a war god scared of injuries ?!

He convinced himself that if he can't help them he shouldn't feel sorry or guilty for them. The priest are surely taking good care of-

-No...NO ! You can't !-wild scream tore through the whole tent.

One of the patients started to swung his hand at the medics near as if he was scarring away dangerous animals.

-There's no other choice ! You have to understand that if he don't cut it off the infection will kill you !

Shi Shuan looked at the source of the fuss. It seemed like the man's hand was in hopeless condition, but he didn't have a clear view because of the tall figures crowded around the bed.

-I can die but i can't have it cut off !-his screams getting louder as he struggled.

He accidentally kicked the one of the medics and Byakko saw bruised all over and broken in at least three spots hand of which two were opened and struggles caused the blood to gush out like river.

After seeing it he tried hard to not vomit but when he saw huge scalpel in medic's hand he froze in horror.

Medics gathered around blocked the man's limbs so he can't even lift a finger as the horrifying blade was grew close then with well-trained move cut into the purple arm. The blood gushed out like a waterfall accompanied by the warrior's terrifying scream.

That was too much. Byakko immediately left the tent in utter fear then vomited previous meal. His legs were weakly trembling just like his whole body. His heart beating like a drum. He knew that it was for the best for that man but the unwavering precision and merciless of the medics made him fell as if he was going to be next.

After calming a little he weakly searched for nearest well to get rod of that disgusting taste in his mouth. He drank some then splashed his face with cold water. That was what he needed !

-My lord ?-Feng Tao's voice sounded from behind.

-Oh, It's you.-he said turning around with composed expression.-Sorry, for blocking the well.

He moved aside but the other wasn't in a hurry to fill the bucket. Instead he carefully studied Shi Shuan.

-Is everything alright, my lord ?-he asked finally approaching the well but his gaze was still glued to him.

-No.-Byakko quickly denied.-I was just helping on the nearby tent when my throat felt dry.

He nodded his head but it didn't convinced him. The bucket was filled. The silence was heavy was Shi Shuan tried to shake off this feeling.

-Maybe there is something I can help you with ?-still not used to this world's methods if handling things he hoped for refusal.

-Well... actually yes.-he said unexpectedly.-Does my lord happens to be knowledgeable in healing spells ?-he said staring straight into his eyes.

Crimson red bathed in rays of sun looked more likely orange but it still looked amusing.

-I'm terribly sorry but I'm not.-he said truthfully what made Feng Tao space out for a while.

It seems he disappointed someone. Again. It made him feel uncomfortable so he added : But I can help with bandages !

It wasn't a lie. Actually it was the only thing he was well-learned of from medicine arts. His mother taught him some basic knowledge like stabilising broken limb or properly stooping the bleeding. She wanted for him to be a doctor like her. But it was good he didn't want to. He would surely bring some disaster.

-That's useful too. All tents are lacking personnel.

He followed behind prying for the tent to be calmer than that with priest Ming. The god answered his prayers. It seemed in this tent were only lightly injured ones. Broken bones, sword-cuts, bruises. There weren't painless but weren't grave too so groans of pain seemed a bit quieter.

Feng Tao finally stooped at one of the beds. The resident was an old man with piercing grey with a hint of green eyes. His left leg was awfully swollen. The young priest attending to him and started to change compresses on his leg the new ones.

-Thank you.-he whispered weakly.

His eyes were unfocused in one while then alerted and intelligent in the other. It seems he was very tired.

-No problem. Just lie down and rest elder.-Shi Shuan said automatically in soothing tone. 

Previously wandering eyes now pierced his soul.

-Im alright. You don't have to worry.-he answered cracking a smile which twisted in pain when Feng Tao touched his leg.

-I will now reset your's leg fracture. Just try to bear with it.-he said focused an a leg to the point when he didn't looked at the man's face.

With crack the leg went into the right place accompanied by suppressed groan and a few tears. ,,He mist be very strong-willed''-thought Shi Shuan then he wiped elder's face.

-Thanks.

Before he answered Shi Shuan caught a glint of light coming from the leg. When he turned he saw Feng Tao reciting last incarnation. It looked like healing spells from games so he assumed something will happen but it didn't.

-What are you doing ?-he asked searching for any changes.

-I'm closing opened veins so that he won't lose more blood.

He said casually but for Byakko it was incredible. His interest didn't escape crimson eyes which as if waiting for it squinted in smile.

-If you want I can learn you this.

-Thanks for your trouble.-Shi Shuan said pretending to not care but his shinning eyes betrayed him.

He took care of the bandaging while the priest went to another patient.

That's how another day went past. With one difference : he finally felt useful. It was valuable training and he must agree that it improved his endurance and will quite a bit.

Only thing troubling him now was absence of well-ghost. He still didn't recover from that day. He was scared to even think how much energy he had lost in that cage.