9.You are a magnet for trouble

Arc 2 Paths are bound

'You will teach me ?' He asked doubtfully, 'What can you teach ?'

'First, to not give your hands away.' He teased, 'And a few spells of course. Magic is my speciality.'

Shi Shuan felt the offer tempting, but he was scammed neither way so he put on airs and didn't thank him.

'Hide when people are around' He commanded grumpily.

'Oh, that ? No worries, humans can't see me anyway. They can't sense spiritual energy and they can't see it manifest, means they can't see me. Ghosts are merely an image created from spiritual energy.' Well's ghost splurged his knowledge.

Shi Shuan sighed helplessly, 'Okay, maybe you aren't useless.'

Yesterday, the woman who took care of him stumbled upon him having a lively talk with well's ghost. She stood there for a good while with a strange expression watching him excitedly conversing with the air before he noticed. He immediately paused and threw excuse of 'thinking out loud' but even he wouldn't believe himself. The woman recovered and smiled at him weakly, adeptly put down the hot soup and his robe which recovered it's bright white colour then left swiftly like a wind. Shi Shuan was left alone, embarrassed in the paint-peeled room.

'How humiliating... she thinks that I simply fell down the well.' He twisted a grin.

'It's not like that.' Well's ghost interrupted his meal, 'She suspects it wasn't that simple. I made quite the noise after all, so she's curious.'

'Can you not read my thoughts ?' He demanded really pissed. Not only was this worm stealing his spiritual energy but also peeking at his thoughts now ! That's simply to much.

'So, about giving my hand to a ghost.' He paused, 'And so we are clear, I have not forgiven you.' He inquired as he walked down the road with a package to deliver on his back.

'But I am too curious to give it up' This, he didn't say out loud.

'How does this work ? Like how does this work with the touching ? Does it have to be my hand ? Elbow won't do ? What if I presumably bumped into a ghost unwittingly ?'

If Shi Shuan was curious about something he just couldn't give it up. If something piqued his interest he had to know, have or taste it. He would forget about everything else and do anything to get his answer right this second. When he was small, he was dying to know how children come to be but his sister just wouldn't tell him. He couldn't sleep, eat, or even think. It was like a mania. Luckily it got more acceptable with time. Now that he was a legitimate adult he was enduring better and could last almost a whole day, but it was still a though task and so well's ghost was bombarded with questions.

'Well, firstly it has to be a hand. It works like that, when you allow a ghost to enter with your hand used as a medium, you pass them a cup worth of spiritual power and you want it or not, it links you both.'

'But why hand ?' He pondered.

'Look at your palm. You see the lines ?' He made a pause, demanding an answer.

'Yes' Shi Shuan urged edgy.

'Those are the veins spiritual energy travels by. At the tip of your fingers they end, right ? That's where the energy you call upon is released. Non-mages don't have those, or they are unclear and faint, nearly nonexistent. Neither way they can't guide it to the fingers, what follows they can't use it.'

'Is there any way to block the passage ?' He didn't want to link with a ghost every time they shake hands as a greeting for example.

Well's ghost took some time to answer, 'Maybe if you cut your hands off ? I dunno.'