Chapter 18

"So what, you're some sort of elf princess?" The commander in charge of the base questioned as Princess Iasnë stood before him, accompanied by Marco and Craig since she snuck into their billet.

"Indeed. I'm here on my own accord and have been living amongst the various human civilizations for years now. Yours intrigues me greatly."

The commander was not amused or expecting an elf to literally sneak into their base undetected. He was still puzzled how she got in without anyone sounding the alert. This new world was indeed strange but better compared to Earth as it was before they left. "So what exactly are you doing in our base, and how did you even sneak in?"

"I came to extend my gratitude to my savior here." She grinned flirtatiously at Marco who cleared his throat and shifted uncertainly. The Corps had prepared him for many things. But it had never prepared him for elves. "As for how I snuck in, let's just say I have some abilities you would be most unfamiliar with. Also I wish to hopefully bring my people back into the world from isolation."

"Isolation? Where exactly do you come from miss?"

Iasnë smiled. "From an island down south. We've set up a magic generated barrier to keep outsiders out and leave us in peace. We've been living on the island for many years isolated and I must say, this world is very different from what I was told a hundred years ago as a young one."

The two marines and the commander stuttered at the elves sentence. "Wait what? How old are you miss?"

"One hundred and twenty five years old. I'm rather young for elf standards." Iasnë said calmly while Marco and Craig looked like they were about to loose their shit and the commander planted his face into his desk and sighed.

"Given what I know from elves in fiction, that really shouldn't have surprised me. I'm guessing you would like to meet face to face with our commander in chief?"

"If that's who you refer to as your leader than yes, I would like to speak with your leader." Iasnë said before the desk phone rang, interrupting the commander from what he was going to say before answering it.

"Commander Simons of FOB Charlie responding...come again...understood...roger, thank you for alerting me of this." He hanged up and his face became serious as he initiated the alert switch, sounding alarms across the base as everyone was confused for a second. He dialed another number to contact the officer in charge of the airbase and dockyard.

He issued a full launch of all available aircraft capable of anti-ship combat as well as a full deployment of the fleet assigned to the base, including the New Jersey which was docked in harbor presently. "We got hostile ships inbound. Those Brits have finally done it."

———<>———<>———<>———

The sounding of alarms coming from the base startled the Criterrian inhabitants along the coast as they noticed the sudden increase in activity. Soon after the sounds of continuous thunder reached them when F-22X and F-15EX fighters began taking off and flying north. The signs were clear, something had provoked and alerted the Americans.

The fog horns of the USS New Jersey and her escorts of destroyers echoed across the shore as they departed from their docks, alerting fishing and merchant ships to get out the way or risk being crushed by the impending metal hulls.

At present, the US was tracking two separate fleets, one heading for Criterria and the other towards the US mainland. All ships accounted were wind powered and at full sails. The fleet headed for Criterria consisted of over five hundred ships and the one for the mainland consisted of over a thousand vessels.