Chapter Twenty

Evan gently nudged Victoria.

"Hey Vic, are we allowed to capture Annie tomorrow?"

Victoria's eyes were in a dreamy, faraway state. But when Evan spoke to her, they cleared again and were filled with a fire. "Isayama said no," she whispered.

She was silent during the trip to the inner wall. No grins, no jokes, no sarcasm. This made Almira slightly uneasy. It was rare that Victoria was like this.

-

Almira was silent too.

Not her usual silent.

The cold, intimidating, inapproachable and scary silent.

Xavier felt like she could cut off his arms if he tried to approach her.

Almira's foot was still sprained. How could she possibly help with her condition?

She clenched her fists.

Finally, Xavier had the courage to approach Almira.

"Hey, are you okay?" Xavier asked.

Xavier didn't know what he was expecting, but she just sat there, ignoring him.

"She's in that state again." Victoria spoke for the first time. Her voice was surprisingly clear and modulated for someone who didn't utter a single word in the last five hours.

"Uh..." Xavier scratched the back of his head, now unsure.

Almira's eyes turned to Victoria.

Her eyes held anger and danger.

Xavier swallowed a lump.

How did she do that?

Not so long ago, she was just dancing along with Xavier.

Now, she looks ready to kill.

Almira's hands tightened around her sword handles and looked outside the window.

Victoria closed her eyes. "What's your problem?" She asked. Her sarcasm never chose a time, and it showed in the next sentence. "What? Left a book back in the HQ? Hmmm?" She opened her eyes and smirked at the glaring girl. She was one of the few people who weren't scared of Almira the least bit. She'd provoke her all she wanted without hesitation. "Child, calm yourself. No matter what we do, it won't change a thing."

Almira rolled her eyes and turned to the window.