The Date Does Not End

And so it ended up that Ben Tennyson and Mikoto Misaka spent most of their entire trip in Venice combating the Roman Catholic Church and the Highbreed. And instead of having a romantic getaway for a first date, they had a brawl fest.

Ben and Touma Kamijou both ended up in the hospital the day after the final confrontation with the Highbreed. As it turned out, their battles had left them each with several broken ribs, fractured limbs, and other injuries.

The Italian hospitals were gracious, and provided excellent care thanks to Ben's doctor calling in from Academy City and telling them that it would be covered.

As it turned out, both Ben and Touma shared the same doctor, Doctor Heaven Canceler. (Odd name for a doctor.) His face resembled that of a frog (or in Mikoto's opinion, a real life Gekota.) and he was kind, other then that, Ben really never knew much about him.

Later that day.. Mikoto came into the hospital with a box of chocolates and a shopping bag to visit Ben.

"How're you feeling?" said Mikoto. "Orsola's letting us stay at her place until you two get better."

"Well.. it's healing quick.. thanks to the Omnitrix anyways." said Ben. "Oh man.. and Touma says he has bad luck.. everywhere I go, some sort of alien mayhem happens."

Mikoto giggled. "Oh come on.. at least you have perks.. you're famous."

"And normally, I'd like it to an extent where I'd let the fame get to my head." said Ben. "But after all the stuff that happened when I was 13, and finding out that having girls chase you is like being eaten by piranhas.. I'd rather pass on the whole fame thing.. I mean.. do you enjoy fame?"

Mikoto shook her head. "No.. it's difficult to make friends. And everyone keeps making me out to be some sort of model proper lady because I go to Tokwadai.

"You are definitely not a proper lady." Ben chuckled. "Not the Mikoto who rubbed it in my face after beating me in Sumo Slammers Tournament Edition."

"And don't you forget it!" said Mikoto pumping her fist. "I'm the gaming master here!"

Ben sighed. "This was supposed to be a romantic getaway where we would go on the best first date ever... but .. I failed at that.. sorry.."

"Sorry... sorry!?" said Mikoto. "Are you kidding me? This WAS the best date ever! How many girls can say that she got to team up with her boyfriend to defeat a conspiracy against Earth!? Ben, I love a romantic date now and then, but seriously, I really don't mind an action packed date either.. you know all those times during the months we've spent together?"

"Yeah.. aliens kept hearing about me coming out of 'retirement' and challenging us." said Ben.

"Yeah.. Vulkanus, Trombipular, Eighteight, Sixsix." said Mikoto. "Should I go on? We may not have been a couple during that time.. but all those adventures we've had ever since I met you, have been the best times of my life. We were a team, working together and watching each other's backs! If that's not an awesome date.. then I don't know what is.."

Ben grinned. "Mikoto. You're one strange girl..."

"Anyways.." said Mikoto. "We're not off the hook yet.. your doctor says you have to come back to Academy City tomorrow. Something about the Board of Directors hearing about Ultimate Humungousaur being sighted demolishing a famous landmark.

Ben groaned. "Well.. that's just great.."

Mikoto smiled slyly. She walked over to the shopping bag she had brought in, and took out a DVD, and a bag of popcorn. "Who says we still can't finish our date before then though? Movie?"

Mikoto handed Ben the DVD.

Ben laughed. "The Adventures of Super Gekota?"

Mikoto went pink and twiddled her fingers in embarrassment. "W-well.. if you'd rather watch something else.."

"No.. no this is perfect!" Ben said. "Absolutely perfect. What are you waiting for? Pop that sucker in and let's watch it!"

Mikoto smiled gratefully and after inserting the DVD in the overhead tv, she snuggled into the hospital bed next to Ben, and handed him the popcorn.

"I hope I'm not jinxing anything by saying this.." said Mikoto. "But I absolutely can't wait till the second date.."

End.

Stay tuned for Epilogue, and Book 3, Invasion.