Chapter 7: Pink Lotus

Chapter 7

The morning sun is rising and the woods are full of birds, and a Qrow and Triton are having an issue. The sound of coughing gains the team's attention, most of the team runs over to Qrow, his fit of coughs worrying them as it could make his wound worse.

When he takes his hand off his mouth, he looks at what he has coughed up. Purple and red blood, the group starts to panic. They look at each other and rush up the cliff that Triton had climbed, he lays on a rock with purple blood painting the grass...

Later on with the day, the team continued their travel together until a split road came. They carried Qrow and Triton in cots, their bandages getting darker and darker in purple. The path to the left leads to a village and to the right is through the mountains to Mistral. They struggle to make a choice, arguing amongst each other as their friends go in and out of consciousness.

Ren: "That village was destroyed years ago."

Jaune: "But if it takes us around the mountains, it's the best bet we got."

Ren: "It will take too long."

Ruby: "The town woulda have a doctor right, or maybe we can scavenge for medicine."

Jaune: "Right."

Ren: "You're not going to find anything, we just have to press on!"

A silence befell the group, the dead trees and dying grass make whispers in the wind. Triton squints his eyes open and looks up to the sky, grey and getting darker. The sun is going down, and the clouds will not leave much light for life to see, but much for the soulless.

Jaune: "Ren, why are you acting-"

Nora: "We can split up."

Ruby: "Huh?"

Nora: "Ren and I can cut through the mountains, as you and Ruby take Qrow and Triton around through the village."

Jaune: "No, we're supposed to stick together, we keep each other safe."

Nora: "We don't have time for safe! If we make it to Mistral, we'll bring back help. If we don't, we'll at least have, up there we can see if there's somewhere else we can go."

Qrow starts to have another fit of coughs, making the team stop their yelling and make a final decision. Jaune and Ruby dragged Qrow and Triton to the abandoned village, as Ren and Nora took the mountain path. On the way to the village, Triton's aura couldn't protect him much longer, and he passed out.

Wind blows with the whistling note of high altitude as present-day Ren walks a stony ledge. Before him is more of the mountain, with a cave just ahead.

Ren: (to Nora, as she comes up behind him) We never get the easy path, do we?

Nora: (putting her hands behind her head) Easy's no fun anyway.

She drops her hands and turns to him.

Nora: You OK?

Ren, with a nod: Mmm. And you?

Nora: I've got you here, don't I?

Ren looks at her as if he does not know what to make of her response. Nora, gesturing with her hand as she moves forward.

Nora: "Come on. There's more than one way up a mountain."

Ren watches her for a beat before smiling. Thunder rumbles and Ren loses the smile, turning to look up at the sky.

Nora: "Hey! There's wind blowing out of this cave!"

Ren catches up to Nora. Leaves blow outward toward them.

Nora: "Think it might lead to the peak?"

Ren: "I suppose there's only one way to find ou-ah!"

He cuts off as a large piece of fabric abruptly blows out from the cave and covers his face. Nora giggles, covering her mouth with her hands, as Ren frees himself.

Ren: "Yes, yes. Very funny."

He looks down at the marked fabric in his hands and goes still. Nora lowers her hands and steps closer.

Nora: "Hey, what's wrong?"

Ren: "This is the symbol for Shion Village."

Nora: "Shion? But that's... that's the village where we found the Huntsman. It's weeks away from here!"

Ren drops the fabric and runs into the cave.

Nora: "Ren! Wait!"

Ren stops once he is far enough into the cave to have a good look at what's there. Nora catches up to him and becomes alarmed at what she sees.

Nora: "Oh my gosh..."

In the spacious area, weapons speckle every place you can look. Swords, axes and staffs are all either propped up or on the ground. Ren moves in and picks up an arrow. He studies it while Nora approaches just behind him. As she looks he also sees what's on the ground... the Nuckelavee hoofprint. It is pointed toward another opening on the opposite end of the cave.

Several trees are outside this opening, just below. One at a time, moving away from the cave where Ren can be soon looking out, the trees shake.

Ren, shaking his head: "No..."

Before the two of them are the shaking trees and the abandoned village of Kuroyuri. Nora takes his hand and he returns the grip, as the Nuckelavee roars.