O6. Past and alcohol

You rubbed your right eye, smiling as you watched the compass tip stabilize, much of the log pose was completed. You got up from your chair feeling a stabbing pain in your back, you really should improve your posture or you would end up with a hump.

Deciding that it was a good time to sleep or rather rest your eyes, you returned to the small living room, Law seemed to have fallen asleep after you practically forced him to drink the herbal mixture, your eyes moved to the mattress you called bed, your corners were stretched up when you saw Kid frowning and hugging a pillow, next to him, separated by another pillow was Luffy stretched out like a starfish, occupying most of the space. You denied taking a blanket wrapping everyone carefully, you watched them in silence for a few seconds.

"Shit I already look like an adult acting like that, gross."

You laughed silently, taking a specific book, sitting on the smallest sofa, you decided to start rereading those written pages, inevitably your mind traveled to those situations, without remembering them exactly but having the warm feeling of having experienced them at some point in your history.

<<I still don't know why the hell I decided to take care of a brat, I guess my heart softened after seeing so many atrocities in the sea, seeing those big eyes asking for my help. How the hell was I going to leave such an innocent creature alone in a world full of monsters that I myself had beheld? Maybe it is not only because she is too small to take care of herself, maybe it is becausesee similarities to when I was a dreaming child, in a way it reminds me of my youth days, that brat will achieve many things I know! It is a brilliant mind that I will polish myself until the day I die.>>

Damn old man, he always saw you as a little brat and still decided to take care of you despite how troublesome you became in your teens. But it is not as if you remember anything more than his face or appearance, at a certain point in your life you lost a considerable amount of memories, probably because while playing with one of your inventions you hit your head abruptly. You were lucky that old pirate kept a journal, you could remember many things thanks to his writings so this book was your most precious treasure.

You felt a bit bad reading it as it would contain private things and thoughts that were supposedly written so that no one would ever hear them, but you forced yourself to move on, that stupid old man had a dream that was ruined because of you, he wanted to be the best inventor of the time of the pirates, but between that and taking care of a brat he had to postpone his dream for you, inevitably age played against him. Of all the memories you could keep, they were the most painful, his illness and his death... they were images that were burned into your head.