CH10; IN-LAWS.

Complete book currently available on Okadabooks! Only preview chapters will be available here.

HADEWA CALIPHATE,

NIGERIA.

Aria couldn't dare go against her aunt—that was pretty much obvious.

So, with as much grumpiness as she could muster, she dragged herself off the bed and headed to Maya's closet to pick up a 'Hausa traditional' outfit as her aunt requested. She only has about three Hausa outfits in her closet, and even then, she isn't fond of them.

Maya on the other hand has a closet full of them—exaggeration intended. Besides, Aria can wear Maya's outfit despite their difference in height. Aria is a bit taller than Maya, but Maya is prettier. Aria is sure she can find some gown of any sort that would fit her amongst the outfits Maya had never worn before.

Putting on the first A-shape gown she found, she took off the pajamas and hastily put it on. Glancing at herself in the mirror, she took note of how the gown had no style apart from the high neck, long sleeve and the stones that adorned it. Her eyes did not miss the pocket situated at both sides of the gown—though it was discreet but looks helpful.

It's different from the clothes she's used to but...she liked it. It's different, unique, and beautiful.

Tying her shoulder length hair into a tight low bun, she stepped out of the room with the head-tie in her hand. Her mother had scolded her times without number for cutting her hair but she doesn't listen. Unlike Maya, she has this stubborn curls that always gave her a hard time. So, she tends to cut them to reduce the length, then stretch it out.

Sofia was quick to come to her rescue, quickly maneuvering the head-tie into the simplest form she could think of. While doing that, Maya picked up a veil and a shoe that Aria would pair the outfit with. By the time Sofia was done, Aria hastily threw the veil on her shoulder, slipped on the heels, and sprayed quick perfume on her before she slipped her phone in the right pocket.

Ignoring Maya and Sofia who had started teasing her about their aunt showing up any minute, she headed out of the room hastily. Once she reached the stairs, she glanced at the living room right underneath which is filled with women. Their chatters heard the minute she stepped out of the room.

Blowing out a low, shaky breath, she held the rail to steady herself so as to not pass out. She has no problem being around people, but after her last encounter at the mall three days ago, she has been a little hesitant of being around people.

Of course, she didn't tell her family about it not wanting to worry them.

One leg forward, followed by the other. Carefully—she headed down the stairs.

The few people that were close to the stairs heard the sound of her heels clinking on the marbled floor. This made them snap their gaze to stare at her.

Her aunt, who had called her down was amongst the women that noticed her presence. Her lips curled into a wide grin—proud of how stunning her niece looks. Admittedly, amongst the members of the family, Aria stood out a bit having a bit of a darker skin tone compared to theirs, but she is stunning just like that.

After all, black is beautiful.

She isn't black—and nowhere near it, but her tone...that was something she rocks better than anyone.

The woman extended her hand out the minute Aria was down the stairs, taking the girl's hand in hers. Despite the fact that Aria had done well to hide it, she could tell the girl is nervous.