04 - Unrestrained

“I know that I had sworn I’d never trust anyone again, but I didn’t have to. You had me at hello.” - You Had Me at Hello by A Day To Remember

~

“Oh my gosh, Sophie,” Lindsay’s elbow nudged my rib painfully, her mouth closing in with my ear. “This is the third time of the week I’ve caught Jason Winters staring at you.” She giggled playfully.

“Stop messing around, Lindsay,” I rolled my eyes and looked at her with a serious face. “Focus. We have lab work to do.”

“But it’s the third time, Sophie!” she hissed excitedly, “And we only have Physical Science three times a week! How can you set aside such cuteness?”

“Lindsay!” I whispered fiercely and frowned at her. I pointed to our papers and the experiment with my open palms. “Can't you see this? We’re not even halfway through.”

Did I ever mention that Lindsay was a very stubborn girl? I’ve known her since we were toddlers, and now that we’re eighth graders, nothing really changed about her very firm persistence. Once she wants something, she’ll pry and pry for you to agree or even react to what she’s saying.

Apparently, I’d give in to whatever nonsense she’s saying right now. But we were in class—not to mention eighth grade Physical Science. With her senseless gushing on Jason’s cuteness, we could probably get in big trouble. That’s not exactly a good thing because Ms. Williams, our science teacher, has very keen eyes on me. I always flunked with any kind of science, and Physical Science isn’t really an exception. I absolutely hate Science. I swear it has this curse for me to fail every single time. So now that I want to excel this year, I might as well overcome my seething hate and try to focus on taking this subject seriously.

But Lindsay seems not to agree with me. Her eyes were still at Jason, completely ignoring me.

“Look at him, he keeps on sneaking glances at you!” she’s poking my upper arms with fits of playful chuckles along with it.

“Lindsay!” I hissed once more when Ms. Williams saw us and gave us a stinking glare.

But my lab partner right here didn’t really see that. She was still caught up in her own little world, laughing like a flipping moron. Then all so suddenly, she held my face between her fingers and turned it towards the direction of the upper right corner of the laboratory where Jason Ian Winters just turned his head away a second ago.

Wait.

He was actually looking at me? Lindsay wasn’t really joking?

“Ms. van Lindell and Ms. Healey” we both looked up and saw Ms. Williams hovering above us with an impatient face, “I asked you to do an observation and write an essay about the data you collected, not to discuss such senseless things . . . like boys.”

I blushed fiercely and sneaked a look at Jason’s table. His eyes once again at me, and when I caught him, he suddenly seemed to take in a bit of air as if he gasped in surprise. But this time,  he seems to have no plans of looking away.

“I’m sorry, Ms. Williams,” I turned my head to my Science teacher and tried to apologize as sincerely as I can, “What we did was really unnecessary. We’ll continue on with our lab work"

“No," she immediately cut me off, "this is the third time the two of you had violated our ‘No-Noise Policy’. Making unnecessary conversations that aren’t related to the lab work is utterly inessential to this class.” She frowned at Lindsay. At least Lindsay wasn’t looking at Jason anymore. Instead, she was looking down and fiddling her fingers on her lap.