Chapter 5 ~ Dreams reveal your repressed wishes ~

He was in the middle of a field of red flowers. He crouched down plucking one out from the soil.

"Roses." He gripped the stem, before throwing it on the ground. Her favorite flower...

"Shadow!" An all too familiar voice rang into his ear.

He looked back.

There she was, running towards him.

A young blond girl, with beautiful royal blue eyes.

He couldn't believe it.

"Maria-" Before he could finish what he said, her arms were wrapped around him in a hug.

"I missed you..." She whispered. "Promise me, you'll take care of him?" She said, her royal blue eyes clashing with his crimson red ones.

"Him?"

"Wake up, Shadow." She smiled. "He's waiting for you." She said then flicked the Ebony Hedgehog's forehead.

He opened his eyes and sat up bumping his forehead with some other annoying Hedgehog's muzzle.

"Shad- Ow!" Sonic whined in pain. "What's the big idea?" He rubbed his muzzle.

"When did you come and why the fuck are you in my room?" Shadow groaned and pushed off Sonic who was on top of him, not too long ago.

"A few minutes ago! And I came to call you for Dinner! Blaze and Rouge cooked, and we weren't gonna wait until your up, so I came here to wake you." The younger hedgehog wagged his tail and smiled at him. "And you said you have a request for me."

"We'll talk about it later." Shadow stood up and walked out the door, the younger not too far behind.

Shadow's loud and heavy footsteps, concealed the sound of Sonic's soft and light ones.

"You actually woke him up?" Rouge giggled when they entered the kitchen, while Blaze looked up from what she was doing, and smiled.

"Tsk." Shadow sneered.

"Food!" Sonic beamed.

*****

After dinner, Rouge leaves for her club, while Blaze washed the dishes.

The two Hedgehogs were on Shadow's bed, one sitting on each side.

"So..." Sonic looked at his counterpart, who seemed to be in deep thoughts.

"Who was she talking about? 'Him'?" Shadow thought deeply. "Who would be waiting for me? It can't be Eggman, her cousin right? Was he even born during that time yet?"

Sonic crawled and went behind Shadow, and was waiting to push him off of the bed.

"Ugh!" Shadow stood up, startling Sonic making him fall back on the bed. The black hedgehog looked at the blue hedgehog, who quickly sat up and moved backwards until he fell on the other edge of the bed.

Shadow laughed, and Sonic peeked out rubbing the back of his head.

"You okay?" Sonic asked.

"I should be asking you that." Shadow shook his head at him.

"Just tell me what your request is?" He stood up dusting himself off.

"Answer this first." Shadow grinned, thinking back from his dream. "I will only say this once, okay?" Sonic nodded.

Shadow cleared his throat.

*~*~*

"Shadow!" Maria walked over to the Black Hedgehog who was looking down on Mobius.

"Hmmm?" He looked up at her.

"I have a riddle for you, if you can't answer it, tell it to someone else you care about and you will answer it together."

"I can't choose you?" He questioned pointing at her.

She shook her head.

"I made it silly! I know the answer."

"What about Doctor?"

"Nope!" She clapped. "Ready to hear it?" The hedgehog nodded.

"It's an emotion,

that can help or destroy devotion,

It exists to bring hope, but also hostility,

It can be the result of endearment and resentment,

It helps you heal, it breaks you down,

It can show passion and distaste,

It can make you gain friends and enemies,

No matter how different you are from each other,

It will find a way to make you stay together,

If you know it, how would you define it?"

*~*~*

"Huh?" Sonic tilted his head in question.

"That's it." Shadow looked at him.

"And if I don't answer it?"

"You will stay here." He grinned, as a blush formed unto the younger Hedgehog's muzzle.

"W-where will I sleep?" Sonic stuttered, crawling onto the bed towards Shadow.

"In this very room." He says. "I'm sleeping downstairs, you sleep here." Shadow remarked.

"Wait-" Sonic grabbed on the older by the wrist before he could turn his back on him. "Am I allowed to go home?"

"You are, you can enjoy a full day there, but you sleep here." He replied. "I have to deal with that Egghead, soon enough. Tsk." Shadow scoffed as he stares at the wall seeing a familiar shadow, while Sonic was unaware of the unwelcomed guest in the room.

He sighed, then looked at Sonic, who was innocently staring up at him.

"You okay with sleeping with me?" He asked, using his other hand to push away the younger's face. "Chaos Bla-"

"E-eh!?" Sonic let go of Shadow's wrist and backed away.

"You heard me." He smirked.

"Were you about to Chaos Blast my face?" Sonic grabbed a pillow to defend himself as if that could protect him.

"I'm wearing my rings, it won't work." Shadow chuckled, pointing at his wrists. "And my Chaos Blast only works mid-air."

"O-oh..."

"So?"

"I... I don't mind." He mumbled.

"Move then." Shadow ordered, shooing the blue hedgehog away and laid down, before covering himself with the blanket.

Sonic just sat there, so Shadow pulled him under the covers.

He opened his eyes, and the first thing he sees is Shadow staring at him, their muzzles almost touching. Sonic looked down and put his attention on Shadow's chest fur.

He wanted to touch it but hesitated because for God's sake, who knows how Shadow might react.

Shadow pulled him closer, Sonic's face landing on his chest fur.

"Sleep." The older whispered.

The younger moved his body a bit closer to Shadow's and nuzzled to the soft and heavenly chest fur.

"I hope this is the last time, I'll be doing this." He thought to himself. Tsk..." His hand landed on Sonic's waist, he didn't flinch. "He's already asleep? That was fast." He sighed, and wrapped his arms around the younger, in a protective manner. "Go away Mephiles... I don't need you right now."