thirty eight

BOKUTO'S P.O.V.

"So come on, tell me, who was it?" I whisper in a hush to my best friend even though we're alone. He looks at me quite confused as if he doesn't know what I'm talking about, but he should have been expecting us to have this talk eventually.

"The two of us haven't been together alone since this trip started and you still haven't told me... Who did you hook up with that first night at the hotel?! Was it someone I know?"

Akaashi scoffs and looks down at his shoes in the dirt. "It was just some random girl."

"Liar!" I shout. I can tell almost immediately that it's probably someone I ran into. "Hm, was it one of those girls that took Y/N and Hotaru? What were their names... Rei!"

"No."

"Kane?!"

"No, Bokuto."

"Hmm, then who was it?" I wonder aloud.

"Stop guessing, this isn't funny."

"Ooo, I know! It's Akane!"

Right away when I guess that, Akaashi's body tenses up and he stops shuffling his feet in the ground,

"No way..." I whisper. "Dude, are you serious?!"

"Shut up, I don't want to talk about it," Akaashi mutters as his face lights up red. "What's up with you and Y/N?"

I look away, a bit nervous that he's going to judge me for my answer. "Not much, I still haven't kissed her yet."

Akaashi sighs. "Have you at least told her how you feel about her?"

"Well kinda..."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" he shakes his head.

"She knows I care about her but I haven't told her that I love her."

"You dumbass, why are you holding back from that? You know she's not going to run away screaming or anything," he sighs.

"I'm just worried she might not feel the same way," I admit to him as I look down at my hands in my lap.

"Well it would be pretty idiotic not to confess to her and you did promise that you'd never do anything idiotic ever again. A horrible promise if you ask me."

"Fine! When should I do it then?!" I ask with determination as I look over at him.

Akaashi looks away and nods at something in the distance ahead of us. I look as well and see the group trudging back towards us and laughing loudly about something I can't quite hear. I smile as I see the bright grin on Y/N's face. I'm glad she's still having a good time despite everything that's happened.

"I think now would be as good a time as any," Akaashi tells me, causing my body to heat up tremendously at the thought of confessing my love to the girl I've had a crush on for years.

"What?" Akaashi asks as he senses my nervousness. "If you love this girl you should tell her before something gets in the way. You wouldn't want Kuroo to make his move first, would you?" he teases.

"He wouldn't dare," I grumble as I narrow my eyes towards Kuroo. I then grab my crutches and stand up quickly to meet the group as they approach the campsite.

"I need to use the bathroom, Y/N please take me," I huff as I ignore Kuroo beside her.

"What? Are you serious? Now you have to go?" she sighs.

"Why didn't you just ask Akaashi to take you?" Kuroo chimes in.

I narrow my eyes at him once more before walking off away from their group. I don't even have to use the bathroom but that asshole is seriously testing my patience. Luckily, Y/N catches on and follows after me.

"Is everything okay?" she asks as she catches up and places her hand on my shoulder to slow me down. However, I don't answer right away as anxious thoughts cloud my brain. I'm going to have to face my biggest fear of this whole trip.

Once the others are out of sight I stop at a nearby empty campsite and take a seat on a wooden bench to catch my breath. Y/N hovers over me, looking down worriedly. She looks so pretty, just like always, I just wish she really would stop worrying as much as she does. She doesn't need to be as concerned for me as she is.

But as I stare up at her, into her beautiful eyes, I wish this road trip would never end. It tears me apart each night knowing that I'm one day closer until this road trip ends. I don't want to stop seeing her every day like what happened after we graduated college. However, as I gaze at her, I realize Akaashi's right. I can't keep holding this off.

"I wanted to talk to you about our conversation from the other night," I begin to explain, yet it only causes her to look even more worried.

"Okay," she mutters back with anxiety written in her eyes. "What is it?"

"I wasn't completely honest about my feelings towards you..." I begin before stopping short when I see that tears are swelling up in her eyes. Thoughtlessly, I stand up without my crutches and grab onto her hands.

"Sorry, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I just didn't know how to tell you that I'm in love with you, Y/N."

This time her reaction is a bit better. She gasps and her eyes widen but her tears begin to stream down her face. However, before I can apologize for making her cry or say anything else, she pulls me in for a tight squeeze.

"I love you, too," she whispers. "So much."

The sound of her voice against my ear causes chills to descend my spine. And when she pulls away my eyes are stuck gazing down at her lips. I want nothing more than to kiss her right now, it's finally the right moment. And she seems to have the same realization, too, as she's quick to pull herself back towards me and place her soft lips against mine.

She's so warm, I could melt on the spot. I can hardly believe this is finally happening, there are just no words to explain how I feel. I never thought the day would come when I'd hear her tell me those words and kiss me immediately after.

I just hope it's something she wants to last, my heart won't have enough strength to keep beating if we part ways again after this trip...