Chapter 17: Testing the Waters

The night is very empty. No stars shining. No sudden strong winds that are used to be hustling. The crickets are quite silent that night. The night is cold. You are still awake even though the night is deep. You speculated that it would be near dawn. Or so you thought. In times like this, your hobby is to think of different scenarios that mostly aren't going to happen. Delusional thinking, they said. You can't help but laugh at what you're imagining right now.

So what if Kyo gets reincarnated into a demon world kind of anime then his only skill is one hit - one kill but his aim is crappy that even if he practiced till he felt like he'll die, it will never improve? LOL, that would be a great show.

You thought while chuckling at your idea, oblivious that your hate towards Kyo at the moment runs deeper than what you have imagined.

While thinking about a couple more scenarios, your mind suddenly drifted to Tsukasa.

You stopped laughing at your delusions when the scenario that popped up in your head is that 'what if the first meeting of the two of you is in a cat cafe. Where you are an employee and he is a patron of the store. Visualizing a college student Tsukasa in a ponytail, his beefy arms and manly hand stroking a cute little kitten with a soft smile on his face to relieve school stress.'

Damn, what a great job to be able to see that. Greatest gap moe of all time.

You thought with a poker face while visualizing it more seriously.

Ukyo, who is stealthily approaching the quarters that time, stopped his tracks as he saw your fast mood swing.

Wow, that was fast. I wonder what was she thinking.

He sweatdropped as he approached Chrome's cell. As Ukyo walked past yours, he blocked the night's only source of light for a second, making you acknowledge his presence. It seems that all of the guards near the cell are taking a break since Ukyo offered to guard for a while.

They didn't hesitate to accept the offer since they didn't have enough sleeping time. Their breaks are short cause they're short of men and most of them suffered overfatigued due to early training everyday done by Kyo and Hyoga. They also trust Ukyo as the right hand of Tsukasa (Hyoga is the left hand) and they knew that he would do Tsukasa's absolute orders.

What they don't know that he is a wild card for Tsukasa.

"What brought you here, Ukyo-san?" you whispered not to wake up Chrome since the cells are quite close to each other.

"I'm just testing the waters. I don't know if I would regret this decision of mine or not. But I know, that right now, I should follow my instincts," he said with a quiet voice with a serious face.

For the first time of that night, the wind howled quite strong. The early buds of springs rattled. And then, the wind stopped. Like it showed you the seriousness of the situation, like it could be life and death.

"Though, I'm not sure about this. What do you think of my decision, Y/n-san?" he asked.

"Hmm, I gotta say. Just do as you see fit. Well, I mean you're in a place where you must side to the one who you think is right and would help you survive. My thoughts doesn't really matter. Just believe in yourself, Ukyo-san. And I don't have the right to say my opinion at the moment, since I want you to have your own choice to follow with from your own will," You said, looking blankly at a stone wall while playing the ends of your hair.

"But what if I don't know what to choose? What is the right choice?" he looked conflicted as you stare at him when you saw him heavyhearted.

He looked really troubled. For someone who lived from 3700 years ago, Ukyo seems to be the type of person that would overthink a lot without letting anyone know that the actions he confidently do are eating him up insides.