Chapter 12: Numbers

It's been three days since you've come home from the travel. The village is still lively as ever but something's different. Invisible tension can be felt around.

You walked beside your sister today to gather the materials she needed for another set of clothes. You noticed that the number of men surrounding the village has increased. Some of them are new. You know most of the men since you have been acquainted with them because of how friendly Taiju can be.

While walking, someone stopped their tracks in front of you.

Eh?

"Good day, Y/n-san, Yuzuriha-san. I'd just like to inform you that Hyouga-sama arrived earlier," some man greeted and informed you.

"Tsukasa-sama would like you to attend their meeting now. If you would, I shall accompany you," the man said and you immediately agreed.

You've been planning to visit Tsukasa since you've arrived three days ago but you are coped up by the work around the village. From the cooking department to the cleaning department. Now you have time to pay a visit but first, you send your sister to her quarters to continue her work. The man follows you around even when you accompany your sister back in her quarters.

"Alright, sorry for waiting. Please lead the way," you apologized and bowed for a second.

"It's understandable. Please follow me,"

You followed him to a familiar path. Minutes later, you saw the prison that you've noticed when you're just new to the village.

"Ano? I've been wondering what was that jail-type quarters for. Do you perhaps know the reason why it was built?" you said slanting your head, confused.

"I'm not sure if this is accurate but I heard from my friend that it is for the people who have done something wrong and that's the place for reflecting," he responded.

So, it's a typical jail huh? It's obvious.

You thought to yourself as you release a deadpanned look while remembering the reason for asking despite it being obvious.

You continued walking for several minutes and the scenery changed. The place is filled with big stones that can stand stone walls. There are also cliffs and dried plants everywhere.

"We're here, Y/n-san. Please walk straight and you'll see Tsukasa-sama and Hyouga-sama," the man bowed and you bowed as thanks and then he left.

You followed his instructions and walk slowly to pay attention to your surroundings. The place looks like a dried land with dead plants. After only seconds of walking, you noticed a big pile of standing statues with numbers on their foreheads or their forearms.

These markings... They're written by...

Blood?

You thought as you traced the bloodied numbers.

31, 43, 67...

"Good day to you, Y/n-san," someone just spoke from behind.

Being surprised like that, you can't help but curse and take a fighting stance, facing the owner of the voice.

"No need to be on guard, it's just me. Tsukasa-desu," Tsukasa said but his eyes twinkling with amusement.

As you recognized the voice, you lower your guard down and stand firmly to greet him.

"Why hello there, Tsukasa-san. I must suggest that you mustn't come like that to other people. They might have a heart attack because of you," you greeted him but showed an irritated but still smiling look. You look around to find Hyouga but he's not nearby.