Epilogue

I know that's what people say-- you'll get over it. I'd say it, too. But I know it's not true. Oh, youll be happy again, never fear. But you won't forget. Every time you fall in love it will be because something in the man reminds you of him."
― Betty Smith; A tree grows in Brooklyn

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 Years Later

"Ya okay I know how much of a procrastinator you are. You've always been one, ever since I know you Sarah. So I know you aren't going to be able to reach my place before eight. It's better you leave early. Shane and Sam might join us a little late but the others are going to be there. It's my birthday! You absolutely cannot be late. Oh, and don't forget to collect the cake! Dan is super excited about it,"Rose instructs me and even after so many years, the name makes me shudder. Rose and Jack, yes, the salsa instructor Jack, named their three year old son Dan. It's a name that's still just as close to my heart that it was 10 years ago. Rose is a super talented, extremely famous artist and owns a massive art institute whereas Jack still teaches Salsa. Never thought I'd see Rose actually settle down with someone but well, miracles do take place.

"Okay woman, calm down. I'm 26! I know what I'm doing," I half-heartedly try to defend myself and hang up on her before she makes my ears bleed. She's still the same, feisty girl she was when I met her. And we're still closer than ever. As I lock my office and step outside, the harsh weather of New York greets me unpleasantly. My mind conjures up ideas for the title of my next sequel. Yes, I'm an author. I studied Literature from NYU and then worked at a publishing house for the next 2 years, after which I finally succeeded in my mission of becoming what I've always wanted.

I take a little detour and drive to the graveyard. I see him every day. I sit there for hours and talk to him like he's right beside me and will answer all my questions and solve all my doubts and make me laugh. My hands shiver as I approach his tombstone.

'Here lay Dan Louis Waters. Loving son, caring friend.' 1998-2015.

I sit there for a while and just think about all the time we've spent together and smile at the memories. Wish we could turn back time and change everything. Wish I could've been enough for him so that he wouldn't have committed suicide. You wish a lot of things but that's all they are...aimless wishes which can never come true. There are tears rolling down my cheeks as I get up and rush to the car. One more moment there and I almost wished I was with him.

I collect the chocolate cake and drive to Rose's apartment, which is just ten minutes away from mine. I ring the doorbell and a gorgeous woman with glowing red hair greets me as I squeal in delight.

"Happy Birthday, bitch!" I hug her with all my might and she cries into my shoulder.

"I love you, Sar," she says and that is all for me. I thank god for the hundredth time for a friend like her.

The place is buzzing with light chatter, a sense of easiness in the air considering how we all still know each other.

"Hey Sarah!" Dell greets me and I spot Adam sitting beside her, his arms wrapped around her waist. He proposed to her when they were 21, and Dell instantly said yes since she was absolutely sure about the two of them. They now have  twins, Sidney and Sandra. I catch them running around the house in bright pink frocks after Dalton-Piper and Peter's two year old son. Dell and Adam shifted to Miami after their wedding and they come to visit once every 3-4 months. But we talk all day long, so it doesn't matter. Someone taps me from behind and I turn around to see Amber approaching me, engulfing me in a hug.

"How are you?" She searches my face for any signs of hesitancy and I put on the invisible mask I've always carried along since he died. Yet, Amber was the only one who could partially see through the materialistic me. His death affected me in ways unimaginable, and it still continues to do so. I still seldom wake up from terrible nightmares and have to remind myself that he's dead. He isn't coming back. Although the pain has diminished considerably, it is still there. Strong and destructive as ever. Dan ruined me for any other boy, hence I've never had a boyfriend, or gotten married yet. I don't think I have it in me to actually be with another guy. It would just be a burden for him. I'm contended alone, although happiness is a different story. It's times like these...hanging out with my friends or reading my favourite book that are my only source of joy.

"I'm great," I say as brightly as I can muster and she scrunches her eyebrows. She's a psychiatrist, a very good one at that. Considering the amount of problems she has gone through, she felt that it was best if she could help people overcome their terrors. Even Amber still hasn't gotten married, saying she hasn't found the right guy yet.

"Sarah remember I'm always there if you need me," she reminds me and I nod grimly. Nobody's support can help, though.

The doorbell rings and Sam and Shane enter, looking handsome as ever. Shane's arm is around a pregnant Jane. While Sam got his girlfriend Nicole with him. Yes, the very same one. Can you believe it?

The place now seems complete as we huddle up in a circle around the table and Rose blows the candles and we all sing the birthday song like we did when we were younger. There's only one problem though; this empty place beside me which can never be filled.

But then if there's something I've learnt in these years, it's that life won't wait for you. If you're stuck in the same tragic moment, life moves on and you've got to catch up. There is absolutely no other way.

I look at the sky and sigh as I spot a shimmering star, imagining him winking at me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okayyyyy well it's finally over! I started this book when I was 12 and have finally completed it two years later. My first real story on Wattpad and it feels absolutely amazing.

For all of you wondering why I killed Dan-I don't believe in happy endings.

Hope you enjoyed reading this book just as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Special thanks to @RheaTron46 and @Miss_Mephobia for providing endless ideas and plot twists. Thank you to all those who generously voted and stayed with me till the end.

I love you guys.

Yours truly,
Swara:)!