Chapter 47!

"Once you had put the pieces back together, even though you may look intact, you were never quite the same as you'd been before the fall."
―Jodi Picoult   

We drive back to the beach house with a sterile silence engulfing us, not feeling the need to break it with heavy talks right now. Dan needs time alone, so that's what I'll give him. Sometimes it's not right to bombard people with questions and explanations and ask for their thoughts. They already have a shitload of things going on in their head, piling up more of it never helps. They need their minds and a place to think clearly. 

"I'll see you later," He mutters when we reach our destination and as much as I want to run after him, I control my urge. Everyone was assembled with grave expressions in the living room, considering the fact that I called them up and told them about the hazardous trip to the hospital. Yet, it's not like they know his father. All that everyone's aware of is that he left Dan when he was really young. Thinking that Dan trusted me with his secret warms me intently. 

"How is he?" Shane demands and I shrug. 

"He's been through a lot all in twenty-four hours. He'll need time to cope up. Try to leave him alone as much as you can," I say and they all nod their heads in agreement. I clearly see that the trip has come to an end by the way everyone's bags are sprawled on the ground. This holiday was supposed to be fun, yet it just ended up being full of inescapable problems. I can't say I regret anything, though. It made me considerably closer to Dan. 

We drive back to our homes without a word, Dan and I in different cars this time, which is why I can't help worrying about him. 

I feel heavy, as if his problems are suddenly intertwined with me in an inexplicable way.  And this situation is becoming more and more inescapable with every passing second. I don't know what's going on with me but, it's as if every time he's hurting, I'm hurting too. I guess that's the whole point of love. Two people become one, as if everything they're experiencing is altogether. And I don't know how I feel about being this close to a person. It's definitely a first for me. 

I mechanically do all my work; unpacking my bag, bathing, eating, talking. It just doesn't feel the same anymore. Dan hasn't replied to the 24 text messages neither has he picked up the 18 phone calls. It wasn't my intention to come off as clingy but I am very worried about how he is. I don't know why but there's this uncontrollably scary sensation I'm feeling right now. As if something is very, very wrong. 

Shuddering, I pick up mom's car keys and drive to Dan's place, ringing the doorbell and seeing his mom open the door. Just one look at her and I know something is wrong. 

"He hasn't come back since the trip, hon," She says and I close my eyes and sigh deeply. Something is definitely wrong.  

"Do you know what happened with..." I trail of, unsure of whether to tell her anything about it or not. I'm not exactly sure how Mrs. Waters feels about Louis after everything that happened so I don't feel like risking anything. 

"Yes. Dan told me what happened. Wait, he told you everything?" Her eyes widen as she realizes I know more than she expected me to. I feel uneasy at this, almost as if I wasn't supposed to know about this. 

"Yes, he told me," I say. 

"Oh, okay. Well he isn't at home. I figured he just needs time to think," She looks worn out and sad when she says this, as if she doesn't trust him being alone. 

"Thank you," I say and leave after hugging her. 

I don't really know where to start looking but I know that I can't leave him alone for hours. I call everyone I know but it turns out that they haven't heard about him either. My heart beats faster with every passing second and finding Dan now is the most important thing ever. 

I have a feeling he's going to do something absolutely reckless. Dan's father left such a huge scar on him it has haunted him for years and seeing him again as if nothing happened years ago could be a little...unsettling. Dan hates him with such a vengeance, it's scary. I'm sure he daydreams about different ways to murder him. 

I realize that no matter how much I try, he doesn't WANT to be found. So everything I do will pretty much be pointless right now. Some people find solace in themselves at times, without wanting to draw attention and without needing the comfort of others. Only they can get their own self out of a situation. 

I drive back home without any luck and pledge to try again tomorrow. Exhaustion kicks in and before I know it, I'm fast asleep, dreaming about him. 

I wake up to the ringing of my phone and snap to attention, thinking that it's Dan. Rose's name flashes on the screen and my chest deflates like an estranged balloon. 

"Sarah, he's dead," She chokes out, as if she's been crying. 

"W-what?" Confusion, and then dead fear kicks in at these words. 

"Dan. It's all over the news. They found a body at the bottom of the bridge, floating in the water. He most probably committed suicide but no one can say anything for sure. He's been taken to our nearest hospital but doctors say chances of survival are almost none," She says and I drop the phone, tears streaming out of my eyes so quickly, my vision blurs. 

No. Fuck no. 
Dan could never do such a thing. He's much more stronger than that. 

My mom looks at me worriedly, a news channel turned on on the television as it shows pictures of him. At the bottom of the lake. A strangled sob escapes me. I feel lifeless all of a sudden. My gut feels heavy, my brain whizzing. My heart is pounding against my chest as his closed eyes come into vision. No way. I cannot lose him. I will not accept that at any cost. 

I feel like puking all of a sudden as a reporter says that he hit the bottom very hard. This couldn't be happening to him. He's just recovered from the car accident!

"Why didn't anyone tell me before?" I scream at no one in particular and feel my throat being ripped to shreds. 

"Sarah..." Mom tries but I'm unstoppable. 

I rush out of the house and start the car. I'm afraid I'm so incapable of driving that I'll kill myself but I have no other choice. I have to reach to him. Now. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have said this one too many times but sorry for such a short chapter. And a late update. Exams got over and I was busy celebrating. Yay!

Well no yay for Sarah. 

What happens next guys?
Am I cruel enough to kill Dan??

Are you strong enough to watch him die?

Keep reading.

The next chapters would probably be the last four-five of the story. 

Love you guys so much. 

Read Vote Comment Fan Share Follow. 

Yours truly,

Swara:)!