23

It's been only a week since Iseul heard Jaehyun and Bora argue inside the former's bedroom, where she was supposed to give him a follow-up check-up on his condition. She couldn't hear most of their conversation, but Iseul was certain it had something to do with the recent partnership of the three biggest companies in South Korea right now.

Moon Corp., Jung Enterprise, and Lee Industries had just announced their joint venture on introducing an innovation of building construction. 'Smart Architecture' is the simplest term Iseul could grasp from it, and with the respective specialties of each company, they'd be able to achieve it.

Of course, Iseul and her family's hospital somehow found itself in the middle of all of that. Taeil had approached her this morning with a business proposal, pitching an idea of constructing a new hospital under the Kang family name. He proposed it's a good fit for the new type of building technology they're gonna introduce.

With Moon Corp.'s experience on constructing different types of structures, and Jung Enterprise's technology, and Lee Industries' supplying energy for them, they'd be able to erect their first self-sufficient medical center.

Iseul would've passed on working with them if it she didn't consider how it'll be huge help for the hospital and her patients. Plus, with all the press drama her family's been involved in, being included in one of the biggest projects with three prominent families will pull the Kang family's name out of the gutter. So, she agreed.

Now, people are talking about their collaboration instead of the "runaway bride" incident and the "Jung heir son stabbed" drama fest.

With everything that's going on, Iseul finds it a breath of fresh air to catch up with her brother. They've been talking almost every day so Iseul's updated with Daniel's new treatment Im Hospitals formulated for him. In return, Daniel asked her about the new job, how she's coping with everything, and how her relationship with Johnny is going on.

The mention of her boyfriend reminded Iseul of another dilemma she's been thinking about. "I'm getting the hand of being the new chairwoman," she started off. Honestly, with the right time management and with intelligent people in her staff, Iseul's work will grow more efficient as time goes by. It's not a problem to her.

What is though – "About Johnny..." she trailed off.

Daniel sensed the anxiety in her voice. "What? You're not telling him something again?" He was right dead on.

"It's complicated." Iseul bit her lip. She made sure she closed the doors before she explained it to her brother. "Johnny's dad is finally getting discharged from rehab and I—I kinda changed his contact info to Taeil because I don't think Johnny's ready to talk to him especially with what happened to their family."

"What exactly happened to his family?" Daniel wasn't aware of the full story of Johnny's history. All he knew was, Johnny started living with the Moon during his high school years.

"Johnny's dad isn't exactly—Well wasn't exactly sober. He had a bad case of addiction back when he was young and had a few relapses when Johnny was young." Iseul explained. "He hit rock bottom when Johnny was in high school. Their family suffered from it so Uncle Hajoon thought it'd be best to have Johnny live with them while his parents figured out what to do with his dad.

"Eventually, they decided to bring him back to rehab and while Johnny's mom was driving them, his dad had an episode and... There was an accident. Only his dad survived."

"Oh." Daniel isn't sure what to say to that. He didn't expect to hear something so heavy, but he kinda asked for this.

Iseul let out a deep sigh. "I'm sorry for venting this out to you, you should be recovering Daniel, I—" she pinned the bridge of her nose.