12

6:39 PM – Im Hospital, Seoul, Korea

"Dr. Kang? Dr. Im's ready for you." Iseul looked up from her seat, just outside Im Nayeon office. Im Hospital was the last place she'd thought of running to as her last resort, but here she is. About to seek help to her rival.

Johnny asked her if she needed him to be with her when she talks to Nayeon about housing in Daniel for his treatment, but she declined and said she'd rather talk to her alone.

Though, Johnny was downstairs at the hospital cafeteria, waiting for her. He didn't want to make the same mistake of letting Iseul do everything on her own. He wanted to be there for her when things got rough, and when things would be okay.

That's what a relationship should be, after all.

Nervous, Iseul walked in Nayeon's office, hands clutched together. Like any other hospital rooms, it was minimalistic, although there was a ferocious painting of a tiger hanging on her wall.

Nayeon was sitting behind her desk, eyes glued to her laptop screen, and Iseul almost felt guilty of interrupting her busy day.

But she was doing this for Daniel, so she mustered up the courage to greet her rival.

"Nayeon," she called, taking a step towards her desk. "I'm glad you made time for this meeting. I'm grateful."

Iseul's voice broke Nayeon out of her concentration. Reading patient's x-rays and CT scans started to give her a headache. "Welcome," she greets. "It's not every day that the brilliant Dr. Kang Iseul is asking me for help. Take a seat."

Accepting her offer, Iseul timidly took a spot on one of the chairs in front of the desk. Leaning her hands on her knees. She hesitated to speak, trying to form words to explain Nayeon her situation.

"Nayeon, I know we'd have our differences but if there's one thing we shared in common, is that our will to treat our patients, right?" she starts off.

"Of course. That's why we became doctors in the first place," Nayeon claims.

"Right. So, the thing is, I have patient. He's terminally ill and I—I've tried every treatment I can to help him recover—get better—" Iseul explained, her tearful gaze meeting Nayeon's curious ones. "I'm desperate. And, I know Im Hospitals have the same technology as Kang Medical Center. I was thinking that—"

"You want a join team to deal with this illness?" Nayeon finishes for her. What Iseul says next was surprising.

"I was thinking Im Hospitals would take them in," Iseul corrects, earning a shocked expression from Nayeon.

"You're—You're asking me to take in a patient? From your hospital?" Nayeon repeats it again to make sure she heard it right. "I don't understand. Kang Medical Center has always been ahead of medicinal technology. Surely, you have your own diagnostics and research team for this—I—"

"If I'm being honest, our hospital has been going down really bad ever since my father passed away. A lot of doctors have requested transfers, and I know some of them even applied here." Iseul shot her a painful smile. "Even if I'm the assigned doctor for the case, I can't—I don't think I'm able to—"

"Your mom's asking you to step down from your job?"

Iseul kinda hates the fact that Nayeon can easily read her. Well, everyone can. She's not really good at hiding her emotions. Plus, the fact that everyone around Iseul knows how insane her mother is.

"I've seen your engagement news," Nayeon mentions the one thing Iseul dreaded for the past few months. "I just... I can't believe you're giving up your job as a doctor for that."