Chapter 13 | Devil Incarnate

The next day, Anderson Boarding School

***Adriana Anderson POV***

I strode the large brick hallways, navigating my way through the enormous building as I headed towards The Director's office. I was still processing what Amara said yesterday, even once Aiden and I got home last night I couldn't sleep. It still came as a shock that one of the Sacred Families had been wiped out.

I huffed out, my arms swaying by my side as I finally halted in front of the large black doors, gripping the handle in my grasp as I debated whether to open it or not. Amara had called The Director 'big bother' and she was a vampire, meaning so was he.

"Miss Anderson." A deep voice boomed from behind, making me jump as my eyes widened

I turned around to see The Director standing a couple of feet away from me, his blue eyes narrowed at my sudden appearance as his hands were in the pockets of his clean black suit, his blonde hair pushed back with gel.

He had a small frown at the corner of his lips, his chest slowly rising up and down as I felt his heartbeat beating slower than usual. His stance was tense, his skin under his eyes a little darker than his complexion as his eyelids dropped occasionally.

"Who's Amara?" I asked, quietly, tilting my head to the side

"Oh, you finally met each other?" He sighed, loudly

I nodded my head, answering his question, my heavy hair which was in a high ponytail bouncing with every small movement. Honestly, I disliked Amara the second I looked at her. Something about her stood out, and in a bad way.

"Why don't we take a walk?" He offered, the corner of his lips turning upwards as his hand stretched out in the direction of the exit of the building

I reluctantly moved forward on my feet, my white sneakers thudding against the hard concrete as The Director and I walked in unison, our eyes averted from each other as I felt the awkwardness starting to build.

The sound of our steps echoed in the empty corridor, the only other noise was the brushing of the leaves against each other, the wind lowly howling as it blew my hair into my face, the low rumbling of the dark clouds above us.

"Amara is my sister." He spoke up, breaking the silence between us as he took in a sharp breath

I lifted my brows in amusement, my eyes widening as I suppressed a smile. The Director and Amara barely looked alike. Amara had bright red curly hair, The Director had blonde with a couple of brown dyed strands. Whilst he stood tall, almost at about 6'3, Amara was quite short, even shorter than Hermione who was 5'2.

"We're just like you and Dexter. Same mom. Different dad." He corrected himself, laughing a little

At least that makes sense

"Well, did you send her to me?" I asked, shoving my hands in the pockets of my hoodie

"I had to make sure you were okay. After what happened with the Ainsworth's, I couldn't risk The Karlstens getting to you."

"And the other families? Are they safe?"

"The Provenza's are safe, like always. They knew about the crash before I did, so I'm guessing they had more time to protect themselves than you."

The both of us went quiet for a while, taking in the silence of the empty school as we slowly walked our way through the large building. Even though there were 4 families, there were only 3 that were widely known; The Anderson's, Provenza, and Ainsworth.