Chapter 9 | Unexpected Arrivals Are The Worst

***Adriana Anderson POV***

"What are you doing here?" I asked in a soft tone at his sudden appearance, halting at the bottom of the steps as I clutched my gown

I didn't expect Dexter to show up all of a sudden. When I had talked to dad earlier, he said Dexter was busy at the bureau, but I guess he was on the plane coming here to The Netherlands. I couldn't see him, not until I had settled down and accepted the truth about Katherine's death.

I believed Aiden. I know he wasn't lying when he confirmed that Dexter killed Katherine. But, hating Dexter for killing Katherine? No, I didn't hate him for doing that. I hated him for hiding it. He could've at least told me after Katherine's memorial at the school.

"I figured you'd want an escort to the school?" He smiled, walking towards me until his eyes landed on the diamond necklace around my neck

"You came all this way just to ask to be my escort?" I spoke up, my voice bouncing off the walls, making dexter look up at my eyes rather than my necklace

"Of course!"

I stood there, trying to read him. Why was he really here? Leaving your job in Schneeburg, catching a 2-hour flight to Naarden just to ask to be my escort? He never did anything like that unless he wanted something in return or had some kind of motive behind his actions.

"Well, I'm not a little kid anymore. I don't need you to escort me to my graduation." I demanded, sternly, clutching my robe tighter

I wasn't ready to see Dexter, not after everything had happened. I figured he knew that I found out the truth, but if he is standing here, then that means he's completely oblivious about everything. Even after 2 months, and he still didn't tell me the truth.

"What? Why not?" He asked, taken aback by my rudeness

"I don't need you as my escort." I shrugged my shoulders, eyeing the wooden front door

"Wh- Is Aiden escorting you?"

The sudden mention of Aiden made me sharply turn my head in his direction, bewildered as to why he would ask me that. Really? Was he being jealous? Why would Aiden, of all people escort me? He couldn't even drive me to the airport as he didn't have a license.

"Of course not. I don't need an escort. Hermione and I are going together." I informed him, confidently

I tried to remain calm, but the rage and fury from the other day when Aiden told me the truth was building up. I didn't think I could hold it in anymore. Not after 3 days. I knew that one wrong word from his mouth, and it was going to burst.

"But I came all the way here just to escort you." He expressed sadly, his voice gone low and quiet

"Maybe you should've called me before leaving your job and coming here." I remarked, stepping in the direction of the door before his voice interrupted me

"Why are you being like this? I haven't seen you for a month. You never called me, or visited me at the bureau?"

I stopped in my tracks, my back facing him as I looked down at my feet, down at my white heels as my brows furrowed. No, not today. I couldn't lie about why I was being like this. I had lied enough, and it was already making me feel guilty.

Never visiting the bureau? I had done so several times, but I just hadn't visited him in his office, not since I realised something was off about him. Not calling him? Why should I call him? He left me without a warning.

He didn't even know what I was going through behind his back. Depressed and alone I tried killing myself once, trying to jump into the stream. It was useless, unless staked to the heart I couldn't die. I had learned that the hard way.