Chapter 3 | A Change Of Heart

***Aiden Sullivan POV***

The metal chains wrapped around my arms hindered most of my movement, a little slip here and there making me hiss out in pain over the exposed cuts and bruises on my skin, not even the thin layer of black and white shirt and pants could dull the pain. I had heard of the torture the guards inflict on you when you're in SP, I never thought I'd get to experience it first-hand.

I could see the hatred in their eyes whenever they walked across my cell, the anger in their voice and the ruthlessness behind their hands. They had hurt me every day for the past 2 months, saying all kinds of things to me.

It hurt, their remarks. They were like shards of glass against my heart, threatening to rip it open over one wrong word that escaped from my lips. But, finally, it will all come to an end today. My verdict, which was most likely going to be a death sentence, will finally put me out of my misery.

Out of all the punishments there were, a death sentence seemed fitting, even though I didn't deserve it. Trapped in my own mind, letting a complete stranger take over it, allow them into my body as I fought hard to break free, but not hard enough.

2 years. 2 years of being surrounded by complete darkness of my mind. And when did the person finally decide to leave me? That night 2 months ago when Adriana knocked me out.

I couldn't tell anyone this. They wouldn't believe them even if I did. Being mind-controlled by another witch was completely unheard of. As powerful as our community was it was almost impossible to take over another's mind and control them.

"Walk faster!" One of the guards yelled, pushing me forward in the narrow corridors that led to courtroom 5, the force of their hand against my back making several bruises ache

I groaned in pain, trying not to make much noise whenever a bruise or cut ached. Because, if I did, the guards only retaliated by hitting me more. They were sadistic. They enjoyed hurting me and the other prisoners every day. It was torture.

Only a death sentence could save me from this torture, or the change of heart from another person. But, that person probably hated me with every fibre of her being. She probably wanted to see me tortured the same way the witch in my body tortured her. She wanted me dead.

What if I told her what happened to me?

The thought had hit me like a truck. What if I just told her? Would she believe me? She was a hybrid, part vampire. She could read my mind and tell the judge that I wasn't lying. She could be the very thing that saves me. The problem? They were never going to let me near her, not in a 1000-mile radius.

The 2 guards in front of me swung open the polished black door, stationed at the entrance while the other 2 took me to the chair that rested in the centre of the courtroom. They sat me down, more like pushed me down in the chair, chaining me tightly as the cold metal rested against my cut skin.

As soon as I sat down and looked up to the judge, I received a disapproved look from her, her eyes showing clear discontent from the sight in front of her. I had heard about the infamous judge, Nina Joan Mary. She was well known for giving the cruellest of the cruellest punishments, and knowing her she was probably going to give me a death sentence.

For a couple of seconds, deadpan silence surrounded the 2 of us, even making the 2 guards behind me uncomfortable as the judge's eyes were stuck on some sort of letter. I recognised the rising phoenix on the back of the paper, the emblem that belonged to the Board of Directors. It was a letter from them.

"Mr Sullivan, I hope you're well aware of why you're here?" Judge Nina asked, her question sounding like a remark, making me relive the night 2 months ago