Chapter 26 | Impatience Is The Key To Bliss

***Adriana Anderson POV***

I examined Aiden from a distance, keeping my eyes on every one of his movements. He was leaning against the window in the large room, a glass of beverage held in his hand as he took a sip from it now and then. His eyes behind his mask were narrowed over at the empty field that the mansion sat on, his face blank as his free hand was in the pocket of his suit.

He was mad, maybe even furious. Hell, so was I. This night had been filled with bitterness and sourness from Alex's actions. I just wanted to get my hands on him, break a couple of his bones here and there to satisfy the urge and relieve the anger.

Ever since Alex did what he did, Aiden kept his distance. Whenever I tried going up to him, he would ignore me, or respond with his one-worded answers before walking off and joining Paige. Because of Alex, things were coming down between Aiden and me.

How did Alex even think it was alright to touch me like that? Or tell me to meet him at the church? I knew Aiden heard that. I saw him grit his teeth in response, his hands clenched as his veins protruded from them. His face was seething off sheer fury.

"Aiden?" I called out, nearing him as I stood with a gap between us

His back was facing me, yet I could see his reflection in the spotless window. This wasn't a good time. He was upset, angry, a mix of emotions dripping from his face once he heard my voice. But, he refused to look at me.

I needed Aiden right now, to talk to him, to enjoy the evening with him, but his resentfulness towards me was not helping. There wasn't anything I could do when I was dancing with Alex, but he wasn't on the same page as me.

"Let's go home." I quietly spoke, looking down at my heels

He placed his glass on the window still, his back still facing me as I felt him breathing heavily. The window in front of him fogged up from his breath, the twinkling stars displayed on the dark blue and black hue of the night sky, the bright moon peeking through the thin clouds as its light reached the inside of the mansion.

I stepped beside him, the tip of my fingers brushing against the skin of his hand as his warmth filled me up. I took a hold of his large hand with both of mine, the pad of my thumb caressing his knuckles as the motion forced Aiden to meet my eyes.

"Let's go home." I repeated once more, gazing into his blue eyes

He sighed, averting his gaze before dropping his hand from my grasp. Without another word, he walked past me, his strong cologne engulfing around me as he walked across the room, through the heavy crowds of people and out the mansion.

I shut my eyes tight, the pain stinging from my chest as I clutched the dress between my fingers. Aiden and I had sworn to love each other forever, for an eternity. But, Alex had ruined it all. He ruined our relationship.

I drew a sharp breath, my vision blurring as the tears were filling up my eyes. But I refused to let them drop. I wasn't going to let Alex ruin Aiden and me. If anything, I was going to ruin Alex. I didn't care if he was a thousand-year-old vampire, I was going to make him pay for what he did.

I bit the inside of my mouth, stepping forward on my feet as I walked through the heavy crowds of people in the living room, all of them happily chattering, bright smiles on their faces as they stood in the embrace of their loved ones.

I threw the front doors open, storming out of the mansion and down the steps, the wind pushing against my dress as it blew the slits back, revealing my legs, reminding me of the place where Alex had left his touch, burning it into my memory.

The chauffeur opened the door to our limo as I carefully sat down on the leather chair, Aiden across from me. His arms were crossed, his muscles bulging from underneath his blazer as his eyes stuck on the carpet floor.