What did you do to me

Catra covered her face with her arm. Thunder crackled, and the stone was struck by lighting. The desolate field surrounding them  had burst into flames. The heat scorched her skin, and Catra found herself clinging to Adora.

The runestone was drowned by the flames. Catra would've marveled at its ignition. A bright orange, red trailer within it, as though it was tainted eith blood.

It began to rain, a sudden storm and soon the flames had fizzled out, leaving the two of them clung together in a storm, next to what was essentially a lightning rod.

"Its okay," Adora whispered into Catra's ear.
Catra held onto her, not daring to let go amidst the downpour.

Her hands stung, she assumed it was because of her scars, but Adora pulled away.

"We're you clawing me?" The blonde yelled in attempt to be heard in the storm.

"No? I would never do that!" Catra shouted back. Adora turned around, reveling two black marks on her back.

Right where Catra had been holding her.

A gust of wind threatened to throw them off their feet, Swiftwind was nearly taken into the storm.

"I can't hold out here much longer!" The horse called, "we should go!"

"Catra!" Adora yelled, but Catra's attention was on her palms.

The scar tissue was charred. Blackened by the heat.

"What the-" she started before her fists burst into flame.

She stared in horror as they burned. Her hands appeared to find, her fur unaffected by the heat.

Her palms still stung.

Adora looked back to swiftwind, staring again at Catra.

"Catra!" Adora shouted. Catra looked at her, then to the sky.

With a deep inhale Catra focused the flame, and shot it into the air.

It imploded, sending a burst of fire across the darkened sky.

"What did you do to me?" Catra asked.

Her heart began to beat rapidly. Her chest fell like it was caving in on her. Her heart and lungs were being crushed by a non existent weight.

All the while the storm threatened to strike them down.

Adora ran to her, but Catra was still on fire.

"Catra you need to put it out!" Adora pleaded.

"Catra please! I cant- I can't help you if you don't put it out!"

Catra fell to the ground, her fists still engulfed in flames. Her lungs were deprived of oxygen.

Her legs refused to stand.

She wanted to put it out. Do whatever Adora told her.

But she couldn't it.

It wasn't like when she had willed it there. It wouldn't go away, no matter what she said or did.

"Adora she croaked," gasping for breath.

"Swiftwind go get help!" Adora shouted and the horse took off.

"Its going to be okay Catra." Adora said. She wiggled herself under Catra's torso, propping her up slightly while avoiding her fire.

They sunk into the soaked soil. The dead, dry earth of the Horde sucked in water as if it were alive. Next it would eat them.

Catra plugged her fists into the soil, and she released a breath at rhe satisfying sizzle of a dead flame.

Adora kissed her forhead, holding her tight.

Catra buried her fists in deeper, taking as much soil in either hand as she could.

The storm raged on. Lightning struck around them. Fire was immediately put out by the rain. Adora raised a shield to cover them, but Catra could hardly stay conscious.

The magic of Etheria was unpredictable, she knew that.

But this was something else entirely.

She had questions, and no answers.

They had to survive the storm first if she hoped to learn anything.

To survive the storm she had to stay awake.

So that's what she focused on; staying awake.