Christmas aftermath

Right. How this has been left for two whole years I will never know!! I still continue to get so much love on this story - for which I am eternally grateful. And I figured that with the horrible news of Station 19's future, I would finish this off in a bit more of a complete way. So here is the ending to Christmas with an epilogue chapter to come

Christmas Day
Maya pov

We all sat on the floor for about five minutes before Evie began to get restless so we stood up and Carina went to wash her face. I actually could not believe what had just happened. I thought I was never going to have to see Jessica ever again, and I definitely didn't expect her to turn up on Christmas Day with Danielle. My poor little girl looked so confused the entire time Danielle was here or talking to her.

As soon as we'd got up from the floor Evie led Waffle into the living room without a word. I watched her lift him onto the couch, into her lap and just stroke him while rubbing their noses together. I could tell she was feeling some pretty big emotions because she always goes quiet when she feels like this because she's so small she can't cope with such big emotions.

Harley had followed Carina to make sure she was okay so it was my job to speak to Evie, "Hi Evie," I said gently as I approached her and moved to crouch in front of her.

"Hi," she murmured.

"What are you feeling?" I asked as she avoided eye contact with me. If learnt to approach emotional situations very carefully with Evie because she very easily becomes overwhelmed. "Tell Mommy what's going on in your brain."

"I thought she was my Mommy?"

"Let me explain something to you; babies grow in women's bodies, right?" She nodded timidly, "And most of the time, whoever's body you came out of is your mommy. But in your case, you came out of Danielle's body but I'm your Mommy and Carina is your Mama because we love you and we look after you." She nodded slowly again but I saw a small tear toll down her cheek. "Evie, tell me what you're thinking."

"I don't understand," she sniffled.

"Me or Mama didn't grow you in either of our bellies because Danielle did but we're your mommies," I explained.

"Why am I not from in your tummy?" She asked, pointing to my stomach in front of her.

"That's just the way it worked. But everything happens the way it does so that it can turn out good," I shrugged. My legs began to ache so I sat down on the floor with my hands in my lap while Evie remained on the couch with waffle in her lap.

"Is she going to take me away?"

"Absolutely not. Do you think Me and Mama would let them do that? I wouldn't be able to live without my Evie," I said softly, rubbing my hand over her knee.

"But you never used to be my mommies. You found me," she mumbled, absentmindedly petting the puppy's head.

"Exactly, we found you. I'll tell you a story; a few years ago, it was just me and Harley that lived here but we both had two holes in our hearts. But then Carina came along and filled one of them but one was still there. But as soon as I saw you that day, I felt the last hole fix itself so I knew that you were my baby," I told her. "We love you."

"You do?"

"Of course we do silly. Me, Mama and Harley all love you more than anything. And now Waffle, of course."

"I love you Mommy," she said, flopping into my arms after Waffle had moved off her.

"I love you baby girl."

"And you'll let me stay at home?" She questioned, looking up at me with the saddest little wobbly chin.

"No doubt about it." I kissed her forehead and allowed her to bury her face against my chest as I wrapped my arms around her while she let out her residual sobs. I stayed on the floor with Evie in my arms, swaying while pressing kisses in her hair.

Carina then came in about five minutes later. She'd taken her makeup off and changed into comfy clothes while she was upstairs and had now come to take Evie's seat on the couch in front of me. "I think she's asleep," I whispered, still swaying and rubbing my hand up her back.

"I think so. Is she alright? Sorry I wasn't here to talk to her I just got so upset and..."

"Don't worry about it, lovey. She was worried we were going to make her move away with Danielle and that we didn't love her," I recounted, feeling sad once again.

"Oh poor Bambina," Carina sighed, tilting her head to the side. She lifted Waffle into her lap and began running her hands down his soft body.

"Is Harley okay?"

"She's on the phone to Blake I think," she said. "She followed me to make sure I was okay though."

"She said she was going to check on you," I smiled. "I texted Vic to come tomorrow, by the way," I said.

"Oh my goodness, I'd completely forgotten about them coming."

"It's fine. They're going to come over for lunch tomorrow to exchange Christmas gifts and I said I would explain everything to her," I explained, checking Evie to see that she was definitely asleep.

"Sounds like a good idea. Do you want to put her in her bed?"

"No I just want to hold her for a little longer." I said. "I was so worried they were going to take her, Carina," I sighed.

"I know but they didn't," she reassured, resting her hands on my cheeks. "She's ours forever," she whispered, placing a gentle kiss on the end of my nose as I subtly smiled.

My family will remain whole forever.