bite. - chapter 18: blackout

Start from the beginning

“I know.”

“What do you mean ‘you know’? How?”

“When Magda and Francesca took me to England we went by boat. I was in the archive. I remember hiding in a room full of files, I even peeked into a couple.”

“Looks like you will be going back there. The boat will be docking in Portsmouth three nights from now. You have until then to come up with a plan to get sneak out of the hotel, get to Portsmouth,  break into a ship and steal the files. Me and Stephen wish you the best of luck.” Sheldon said snapping his laptop.

“Oh no, don’t think you can walk away from this. You two are now involved in this. There is no way I can do this by myself.”

“No one can do this. This is mission impossible.” Sheldon said.

Stephen interrupted, “Keira could help.”

“Keira?” I said dryly.

“Yeah, she seems like bitch but trust me she can help you.”

“Ignore, Stephen, he doesn’t know what he talking about,” Sheldon laughed nervously, “Stephen shut up right now.”

“Get a spine Sheldon,” Stephen replied nonchalantly. “You know Keira and her husband are the only ones made enough to pull that sort of stunt.”

“Keira has a husband?” I replied in shock. How the hell did that happen? Keira was so slutty, the thought of me touching another man made me want to vomit. How the hell did manage to be so promiscuous while having a mate.

“Yeah, but not the type you can bring home to Mommy and Daddy. Keira is definatly the girl to help you.”

This wasn’t what I wanted to hear. Keira was the type of person whose personality was so abrasive even in these dire circumstances I really didn’t want to ask for her help. Deep down I really didn’t trust her and I quite honestly, I hated her.

“Keira hates me, and I hate her. I really don’t see why she would want to help me.” I said frankly.

“This isn’t about you Lorna. This is about Emma, Keira’s sister. I’m sure Keira would put aside her petty grudge to bring her sister’s murderer to justice.” Stephen replied.

I fell silent. All this time I had been trash talking Keira, I had forgotten that she had lost someone so dear to her. Vampires shared  strong family bonds. I realised that when Magda spoke about Leandro, her estranged grandfather. Even though he had virtually condemned her to death I could still see flickers of affection and warmth when she spoke of him.

“Fine,” I nodded. “Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.” I said.

“Yeah well, if we all wind up fucking dead, I’m going to be really f-”

I slammed the front door behind me before Sheldon could finish his umpteen cuss of the evening. Putting my hands in my pockets I walked along the corridor to the elevator to find Keira. God knows how I was going to explain everything to her, but I really needed her help. If my vampire parents or Michael ever found out what I was planning I would be dead for certain.

Keira wasn’t hard to find. Like usually she was skulking about the bar trying to lure seedy old men into her trap. I can’t believe she was married. Tonight a poor Swedish tourist was slumped against her looking very pale in the shadowy booth. Sasha was hovering about too but he was too engrossed with two six foot models to notice me. Quietly I slid into Keira’s booth; she didn’t notice me because her face was buried into the man’s neck. The smell of blood hit my nostrils and I felt my fangs pop out. Crap.