CHAPTER 24: ALCOHOL POISONING AND HEARTBREAKLAND

Ellie

Ellie

I am uncomfortable.

That's the only thing I can think of right now, but it's the truth. I am super uncomfortable at this party. It's a frat house, so I can check 'partying in a frat house' out of my bucket list. The speakers are just above my head and the music is making my head throb; the base is out of the roof, it's changing the beats of my heart. I have to know which speakers work like this.

Parker's hand is in mine as he talks to some dudebro with tortoiseshell glasses. Someone's really trying to channel the nerdy hot aesthetic huh. I try to focus on the feel of his hand in mine. His hand is soft – softer than mine almost – and large, big enough to envelop mine. He rubs his thumb on top of my knuckles and the feeling flutters inside my stomach. Maybe being with him won't be such a bad idea after all.

"By the way, this is Ellie," He pulls me in front, "This is Max."

"Hey."

"Hello."

There is a pin drop silence around us, which is funny considering the devilishly loud music pumping over my head. Noah, with his mousse brown and tortoiseshell glasses, looks like he wants to blot out of here himself or ask me to leave them alone and since Parker isn't doing anything either, I take it's the inherent goodness in me that wants to break the awkward silence.

"So, how did you two meet?" I realize how overly chipper I might have sounded a second after I opened my mouth.

"Max and I go way back," Parker smirks, "Our dads are practically brothers."

"And what strengthened our bond was suffering through golf together, I tell you nothing is more boring than hitting a ball with a stick with old men telling us how to hit a ball right," Max chuckles.

Parker snorts beside me, "I know I will get canceled on Twitter for this, but all sports are generally boring."

A year or so ago, I had a huge crush on F1 racer Carlos Sainz, and that Ellie would like to beat these two up with a baseball bat. Hell, I might even backhand them right now.

"And you?" My head perks up at Max's address, "How do you two know each other?"

That's a good question. That's a very good question because how do I tell this guy I think I might only like Parker because he matches the probable description of my soulmate I saw on a random YouTube video.

Thankfully, Parker answers for me.

"Actually, she's my girlfriend," He grins at me and drapes an arm around my waist.

Well, I am not so thankful now. His grip is tight and my chest feels clammy. I look around to see if anyone noticed us, but now, everyone's drinking and laughing and I am stuck here with an uncomfortable grip on my waist. I try to wiggle out of his grasp but to no avail.