CHAPTER 1: TAROT CARDS AND FORCES OF ROMANCE BOOKS

Ellie

Ellie

"Believe me Ellie, this shit's true," Komal says, brown eyes wide with persuasion.

"K, you know I find this a lot hard to believe, considering it's the, you know..."

"What?"

"Internet. Considering it's the internet," I stare dead into her eyes.

"Oh Please," Komal snorts, "You trust the internet with medical emergencies bestie."

"How is that even in the same universe as watching tarot card readings on YouTube?" I say, beyond exasperated.

I look around and see a bunch of students around us. It's a warm day, the hot afternoon sun slick on our necks and people are milling around in shorts and skirts. Hanging out with Komal feels like a breath of fresh air now that we barely see each other anymore. It's been a year and I am still adjusting to not going to school with her, to not having sleepovers or bike rides at sunsets, and all the other things we have done since we were twelve; spending every living, breathing, moment together. But she's in Notre Dame and whenever she comes to Boston, we continue our tradition. We find ourselves in the exact same location we have been in for four years now. Sitting on a bench outside this small café called Milked, drinking the same drinks: strawberry milkshake for me and a lemon soda for her. It's like our own ritual except Satan doesn't show up here. Downer.

"Please," She flicks her hair, shiny and black that make me regret not having cent percent Indian genes, "It's just one video and it's not going to cost you your lungs."

"Pretty sure you would have made me watch it, even if it cost me my lungs," I deadpan, stirring the milkshake with my straw.

"You know me so well."

"One video," I warn.

She lifts her head up to the sky dramatically and sighs, "Finally!"

She scoots over to where I am sitting, and types up the name in the YouTube search bar. I look around, suddenly conscious of the stares but there aren't any. I know no one's going to telepathically know that Komal and I are watching weird tarot card readings about who our soulmates are but holy mother of rainbows, it is embarrassing.

"Okay so what you have to do is...," We both hunch over her phone, because the video isn't audible much and we both forgot our earphones at home so we're stuck here, blasting tarot card readings for everyone to hear. God please don't let it say something like age gap or mafia boyfriend, I do not want to live in a Penelope Douglas book and have other people hear it.

"Yeah found it!" Komal exclaims, "So basically, pick a card."

"Pick a card?"

"Yeah, just glance over them once and then close your eyes and think about who you want your as your soulmate-"