CHAPTER 19. YALE AND LIGHTNING STRIKES

ELLIE

ELLIE

"Can you see them?" I crane my neck to peek at the rink through the two bulky men in front of me, one of them being the baseball cap guy.

"I can. Barely."

We are at the University Arena playing against Yale.

We came here late so we didn't really get a good seat but we're making do with what we have and it's not like we're being squashed by two giant men, one of whom still thinks it's cool to wear baseball caps. In a hockey match of all places.

I have no idea why I am so bitter about baseball caps.

The game is a rollercoaster ride. There's a slight tint of swat and determination in the air and everyone is screaming their lungs out. It's complete chaos down there and my blood is pumping in my veins, like a maniac drum beat. There's an uproar everywhere beside me and I feel like my ears are going to pop out but it's so worth it.

"WHOA!" Alexis's face curls up in a smile.

"What? What is it?" Man, it's not at all fun being short as shit in a hockey game with two men in front-

"It's Logan. Number three, watch."

"Excuse me!" I shove through the gap between the two giants – both of them looking at me like I have lost my mind – and watch. It takes me a while to spot Number 3 but it's not difficult. Logan is a force on the ice. He whips through the players like lightning.

I know he's tall. I know he towers over me. I also know hockey players and athletes in general are usually built and ripped and look like they could tear you apart limb by limb. But Logan moves like a God.

His feet move on the ice with quick precision, and a deadly swiftness. Logan is graceful and strong and moves like air, dodging the puck left and right. He doesn't even have to manhandle the other players, he ducks and skims past them like magic. It's like watching water flow, his body is so fluid, almost transcendent.

"Yes, Yes Logan do it," Lex mutters beside me.

Logan pushes around the puck, trying to get a leeway between two Yale players who look like they eat my weight for breakfast; and that's saying something. I have no idea what is going on but the scoreboard above is flashing 1-1 and I know enough to know it's going to end up in a tie if the guys don't do anything.

"Do you think they'll win?" I ask Alexis because I have no idea what to expect because I have no idea how the game is played or if it looks like they could score a goal.

"I don't know, I don't know, Logan is trapped."

But I don't have to be confused for long because in what seems like a blink of an eye, Logan passes the puck sideways to someone. I can't see his face but his jersey reads number six.

"Who's that?"

"Nate or Dean, I don't remember."

Nate or Dean or Number six goes flying past the Yale players, who were too focused on Logan scoring the goal to realise that he passed it. There's the loud cheer of an almost win coming from around me. Lex's legs are shaking and she's biting her nails down to her cuticles. The smell of hope and anticipation lingers fresh in the air as all eyes are on jersey Number 6.

Not mine.

I am stuck looking at Logan, the team captain, as he maneuvers through the rink. The other players blissfully unaware of him as they're all focused on the puck. But I see him. I see him signal to one of them behind him, Number 11. I see him give a slight nod to number 6, who's looking back over his shoulder every few moments with a tail of Yale players chasing behind him.

Logan whips past everyone until he's parallel with the player who's handling the puck and in the blink of an eye, he passes the puck to Logan. Honestly at this point, I am really doubting Yale's players' capabilities because how do you not see that move if you've been playing this game for years now. But it's all in our favor, so I am not complaining. Logan is surrounded by a few others, one of them is Aaron I think, and they form sort of a spaced out shield behind him to Block the opponents and I am impressed. I might not know jack shit about this game but that was a really smart move. I mean, I hope it was for blocking the Yale guys and not some other rules.

The timer flashes thirteen seconds in bright red when Logan scores. That's all I see before I am pushed back by the howling of the two meaty men I was poking through.

"I can't see!" I whine beside Lex and she pulls me in towards her to get a better view.

I am coming and booking a front row seat from five hours before, the next time I attend a game.

I don't know if they are supposed to wait for the time to be over and block the goal or do what exactly but I guess, in my desperate effort to try and find a spot, the time is up and I see all the guys jumping up and down in a group hug; all their helmets are off and Number 6 is actually Nate as Lex says.

I see Logan. There's a wildness around me as everyone is screaming their lungs out and there's also the smell of defeat from Yale but I don't focus on that. Instead I focus on Logan giving his teammates small smiles. His eyes are glowing and his hair is sticking out in every direction from the helmet and the sweat. There's a firefly glow around him as Aaron pats his back.

He looks happy. 

                             ★-★

Hope you like thisssss
I start my college mid terms from tomorrow and I've my paper on theory of computation followed by engineering statistics and this whole Asian girl in STEM era is really killing me a day at a time.

Few things first,
I don't know if Yale plays in Boston but we'll pretend they do and you will pretend with me😄🔪

Changing a few things about Logan so he's Logan DeLuca now and he has a tattoo on his back. I'll be editing it soon enough.