CHAPTER 13: BITCHY MOMENTUM AND SWEET CHILD

LOGAN

LOGAN

"I will murder you boys in your sleep if you do not speed up!" Coach yells at us from the sidelines.

We are supposed to run ten laps around the track and while I understand the necessity of being a good runner, I don't understand why he isn't making us skate ten laps around the ice rink since skating is where our talents lie.

"Faster!"

I am anticipating blisters in my feet but I push myself. I am at the very first position and the gloating in my head is pushing me forward. I just have two more laps to run and then I am done. I am trying to concentrate how much more I can exaggerate to Coach so he lets us off easy today. The blisters on the feet are a good excuse, except I will never have blisters from running ten laps around a track field. I've put myself through worse conditions, and unfortunately coach knows that too.

I turn my head around and spot Aaron catching up to me. He's breathing hard but he gives me a mock salute, knowing he's going to best me if I don't keep my head on this track. Okay gotta keep it clear there's just one more round and it's going to be over before I know it.

I hear Aaron's feet closer than I'd like him to be but it's too late for him because I go rushing past Coach as he blows his whistles. Momentum's a tough bitch to stop. Aaron breezes past me two seconds later, grinning as he pants and huffs.

I lean on my knees and wipe the sweat off of my face, "Not today, motherfucker."

"Soon," Aaron winks at me as he flops down on the ground. Not really an ideal sportsman behaviour but when Coach gives us a thumbs up instead of a tongue-lashing, I go down too.

"Oh you can wish."

Today was a brutal day. Coach had us do laps, then practise matches - twice – and then laps again. Normally it wouldn't be such a pain in the ass, but today, I feel like the sun is two feet away from me and if I breathe too much, I will melt from the inside. My shirt is already sweaty and balled into my locker and I want to peel off my skin right now.

The sun is a burning force on my back when I hear my name called out in a throaty voice.

"Logan?"

Oh dear god no.

I turn around and find mom squinting at me, "Can I talk to you?"

"Not willingly," I brush off my palms on my pants and walk over to the nearest tree I can find. I don't bother to see if she is following me or not.

In the shade, I see her without squinting my eyes. She's thinner than I remember, but then again the last time I saw her, it was almost four months back and drugs can do a lot of damage in a short time.

"So, why are you here?" I snarl.

She flinches at my words but doesn't back up, "I need your help."

"When do you not?"

"Logan, my baby, please," Mom pleads.

On a closer look, I see that her eyes are bloodshot and sunken, identical black crescent moons under her eyes. An ice shard stabs my heart every time I look at her. The same chocolate brown hair which is now a dull brown in a bun on top of her head. The same full lips which are now chapped and pale. The only thing that hasn't changed are her sharp cheekbones, identical to mine even now.

I hate how alike we look; even dyeing my hair ash blond doesn't change the fact that I am related to her and my hands are tied. I can do nothing about it.

"You need to stay away from Nana and Levi," I warn, getting in closer to her face.

It's been years since the incident but even now, looking at her opens a clawing chasm inside me; a chasm of fear. Looking at her feels a lot like living my worst nightmare again and again, it feels like that day has me on a chokehold still and I can barely breath.

"I really need money, Logan, my sweet child—"

"Don't call me that," I hiss, "You left me when I needed you, you let your old haggard ex do whatever he wanted with me and did nothing about it!"

She visibly blanches at my words, but I know her better than to fall in her regretting mother trap. She doesn't care. She never did and she never will.

"Logan you don't understand—" She grabs my arms and it burns.

I peel off her fingers off of me and seethe at her, "I have understood enough. That's all I've ever done. Now you understand when I tell you to leave me and my family the fuck alone!"

"Am I not your family?"

I scoff. The drugs are seriously messing with her, "No. You're not and you know exactly why."

"Um Logan, do you need any help?" I turn around to see Aaron and Hunter, looking at Mom suspiciously. I mean she's wearing ragged jean shorts and a top two sizes two small; I'd be worried if I was in their position too.

Mom looks at them expectantly, probably hoping they'd come to her rescue. But before she can plant any seeds, I stop her, "Listen, I don't want you to contact me, Nana or Levi ever again. You made a mess and you got into it so save yourself, it's not out job."

I turn around, and drag Aaron and Hunter along with me; I never once dare to look back.

                              ★-★

So what are we thinking? 🌚