CHAPTER 24: ONLY YOU

Start from the beginning

Keiji once again seem to be lost in his own thoughts. He was brought back to reality when konoha playfully smacked his back, 

"Well, i don't know about y'all, but i'll always have faith in you" konoha says with a smirk on his face.

"Yes! just like how we believe in your tosses, we believe in you too" koutaro then agrees with konoha with his blinding smile. 

Keiji was so touched by how much his teammates trust him, tears start to form on his eyes, "i'm sorry for making you guys worry about me" 

"We don't want to hear any apologies, you idiot. We just want you to rely more on us. We're not only your teammates, we are your friends too, remember?" 

"Yes bokuto's right. You can rely more on us akaashi. You shouldn't feel bad if you have problems, you can always share with us!!" komi chimes in.

"You heard our senpais, keiji?"finally y/n voices out. 

"Y-yes! Thank you. I'm so glad to have friends like all of you" and for the first time after more than a month, all of the fukurodani volleyball members see keiji's genuine smile again. Suddenly, the restaurant filled with the shouts from the teenagers, being happy to see their friend's smile again, hoping that nothing can take away that smile again.

(Two weeks later)

It's the examination week. Keiji somehow being even more distant from the team despite having a heartfelt talk at the restaurant after nationals. Y/n couldn't take it anymore. The sight of keiji looking more tired than usual, making her wonder does he even take a good care of himself? Every time she wants to talk it out with him, he would always find a way to avoid her.

Once the school's bell rang, y/n waits for keiji at the second year's school locker. Once she changed to her outdoor shoes, she stands by keiji's locker, watching as he puts all of his books into his bag. Once he closes the locker's door, he was so shocked to see y/n is in front of him. He then averted his gaze to the side. Y/n sighs as she sees her boyfriend being so difficult now. She puts her right hand to his left shoulder, wanting him to look at her in the eyes,

"Say something please... keiji, i'm begging you... how would i know what's bothering you if you don't say anything?" y/n tries her best not to shake.

"Do you hate me that much that you doesn't want to see me in the eyes anymore?" this time, she sounds a little desperate, couldn't hold her feelings anymore.

After listening to her question, keiji immediately changes his gaze to look directly at the only person he loves the most. 

Y/n's eyes widen after finally seeing keiji's face properly, the glow in his eyes, the shine that she loves so much, it's gone. His eyes looks so dull, holding all the emotions that he didn't dare to show on his face. 

Keiji keeps being silence, he really didn't know what to do, this is the first time in his life someone show him how much they care for him. It's all so overwhelming to him. He doesn't want to burden his lover with his situation. He knows better to face all of these alone, like he usually does.

"Please, i want to always be there for you, through the happy and sad, thick and thin, i want you to know that i'm always here for you. So, please keiji, allow me" y/n didn't bother to hold her tears anymore, it's so frustrating to see her lover looking like this.

Keiji keeps being silent. He wants her to be with him, but, he thought that she deserves better, not someone that broken, overwhelmed with unnecessary thoughts and emotions like him.

Taking keiji's silence as a no, y/n reaches her hands out to cup his cheeks, she smiles sadly. Ahh... what a painful sight, it's a shame that keiji is the one putting that sadness to her beautiful face. He starts to feel that he never deserve her in the first place.

"Take as much time as you want, keiji. Find yourself first. I don't want you to hate the same person that i love so much. I'm always here for you. When you decide that i'm worthy enough for you, come back to me, please" keiji listens to y/n intently as her voice shakes while talking. What y/n didn't know is that, she is always worthy for him, but he didn't feel that he himself worthy for her. 

Keiji's eyes never left y/n's back as her figure slowly disappears from his sight. He feels so numb, it's as if his feet were glued to the floor. He extends his hands as he tries to reach her, but somehow, she is already far for him to reach

"Come back... Please don't go... Please don't turn your back on me..." his voices are too muffled, comes out as a whisper, y/n couldn't hear him. 

That's when keiji's knees betrayed him, he falls slowly on the ground and cries silently.

Published on: 13/1/2022