Act I • Chapter 13

The participants, along with the examiners, watched in amusement and slight bafflement at the scene before them. Just a moment ago, the albino girl was doing nothing other than casually dodging each attacks sent her way. But now that she got what she wanted, she finally decided to end this game of cat and mouse.

"You may surrender now." She whispered simply, but enough for everyone in the room to hear.

"...what?"

Killua voiced out incredulously at the girl who was currently holding both of his hands and feet behind him, stretching his body immensely and rendering him useless at the moment. He was immobilised on the ground.

She had suddenly ceased their pointless- at least to Killua- crusade. But for what reason?! He wasn't as smart as her and obviously didn't have superhuman observation skills for him to figure out her goal.

"Admit surrender." He heard her repeat. And it took every inch of his left pride to finally voiced his defeat.

Shine let go of the boy then simply went back to the sideline as soon as she heard her name announced as the victor.

Leorio spluttered as he yelled in utter confusion, "That's it?!? You prolonged the fight, just to end it with an easy stunt?!!"

Kurapika continued to observe the white haired girl, wanting to somehow get a clue on what her goal was. However, the blonde couldn't read her at all. No matter how much he tried.

Giving up, he then turned his eyes on Killua who was given little to no time to take break, before facing his next opponent.

It's that one creepy guy that was acquainted with the weird magician. Kurapika didn't know any of his abilities so he could only silently pray for Killua's safety.

The sight was terrifying to watch, if the viewers weren't aware of the fact that those two applicants were experienced fighters and killers.

Gittarackur's tall and broad figure loomed over the small boy. He briefly sent a  glance to the albino girl who was already staring at him. Illumi- in disguise- got the hint of her look. She was greatly anticipating his next move, and underneath that masked amusement, she was sending him a warning to not overdo it too.

How rare. He thought.

It was rare indeed, knowing her for years already, he had never seen her care for others other than herself. She even neglects herself sometimes. But now, Illumi needed to find out what changed his little acquaintance into such a fusser.

"Start!"

Killua started advancing closer to Gittarackur at a slow pace. He was an assassin, so he was cautious of almost everything. But he wasn't an empath, so the moment he knew that he made a grave miscalculation, was when the man in front of him started removing the pins on his face.

"Long time no see, Kil."

The young Zoldyck stood in shock. Mouth agape, wide eyes and sweat beading his forehead. His nerves were tensed in the most negative way when the needle man's true form was revealed. "A-aniki...!"

Voices of bewilderment from the others, most especially from Leorio and Kurapika, were all blurred out in Killua's head. This was all too much to take in, he hadn't even recovered mentally from his previous battle with his senior and now his oldest brother has actually been with him all this time?!

"Hey." Illumi started, his dark onyx orbs gazed into the young Zoldycks' soul. "I heard that you stab mom and Milluki."

"I guess.." Killua's words quivered when he heard his brother's terrifyingly monotonous voice. It always sent him shivers to hear something so empty...just like Shine's.