Act I • Chapter 3

"HER PAST IS HIDDEN IN DARKNESS, HER PRESENCE CLOAKED IN SECRETS, THE FUTURE HOLDS THE ONLY TRUTH THAT CANNOT BE ESCAPED"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After arriving safely at the Dolle Harbor, as a token of appreciation for having the four entertain him, the captain told them to head towards a big cedar tree on the hilltop for it was a shortcut to the exam site.

They were currently looking at a map of Zaban city, "Perhaps you misheard him?" Kurapika spoke as Gon shook his head a no. "He told me to head towards that cedar tree."

Kurapika pondered for a moment as Leorio complained "Where exactly in Zaban city are we supposed to go?!"

"Our task is to find the exam site using a limited amount of information. It is merely another test before we are allowed to take the Hunter's exam." Shine spoke her opinion, which is the fact, but this is Leorio we're talking about so of course he separated his way with the three, not until he heard some guys whispering about how the rookies fail this part of the test for being naive.

"So i figured out you must be lonely without me! so i decided to blah blah blah," As Leorio kept blabbering about this and that. Shine, however, has something in her mind. 'there is someone tailing us... I wonder if i should act.' The girl decided to stay silent for the person following them did not reek any killing intent anyways.

After a few minutes walk, the four arrived at a place with people wearing white masks with their own instruments and a grandma sitting in the center.

"W-what's with these guys.." Leorio said being creeped out a little.

"Exciting," The grandma spoke making Leorio gulped and mimic her word.  "...exciting?"

"Time for the exciting two-choice game!!" The grandma suddenly yelled followed by the people by her side to simultaneously play their instruments.

'For a grandma, she really have a lot of energy' the two males (kurapika and leorio) thought as the grandma explained the rules to pass this phase. They can only answer 1 or 2, any other answers will be considered incorrect. But as they were about to start a person showed up and told the grandma that he would be answering first.

'So he's the guy.' Shine thought as Gon informed the two males that that guy have been following them ever since they got off the ship.

The grandma then started the game. "The rogues have captured your mother and lover, who are you going to save. 1-mother 2-lover?"

The guy smirked and answered, "The answer is number 1." The grandma asked him for his reason to which he simply responded that there is only one mother while a lover could be found anywhere.

"You may go."

The guy then left smugly as Leorio in the background complained on why she let him passed as there is no right answer.

'The grandma didn't say that the guy passed. Leorio is right, there is no correct answer. If it were me I would save no one since i don't have a mother nor a lover, but since we're talking about it hypothetically then...' As Shine already got the answer the grandma repeated the same question to them. The three thought about it carefully, Kurapika soon finally got the answer and stayed silent as Gon also did. The pissed Leorio however grabbed a wood and was about to attack the grandma but was stopped as Shine swiftly went in front of him and halted the wood on Leorio's hand with simply  one finger.

The others were taken aback by her bit of strength including Leorio but he didn't backed down.

"Calm down Leorio." She said as Leorio yelled, "How am I supposed to calm down?!"

"We already passed the test."

Leorio showed a confused face. "huh? we passed?"

Kurapika decided to explain it to him. "We gave the right answer, silence was the correct response. You said it yourself earlier, 'there is no correct answer', thus the only way to answer it excluding one or two is silence."

"..But what about the guy earlier??"

"She never said he was right, she only said he may go, in other words that one is the wrong path, am i right?" Kurapika walked towards the grandma as Shine turn around to face her too, the grandma smiled at them and stood up. "The correct path is right here." As soon as the grandma said that, a narrow tunnel appeared. "Walk two hours and you'll reach the top where a couple lives."

Leorio then quickly apologize for his rude behavior as the grandma laughingly pardoned him back.

Shine then noticed that Gon was still from his spot and called, "Gon, let's go."

"haaa...it's no use, I can't think of an answer." Gon said still looking for the answer.

"HAHAHA you're still trying to find the answer, you can stop now." Leorio laughed.

"eh, why?" Gon dumbfoundedly asked as kurapika giggled, "The quiz is over."

"I know, but you know... What if i run into a situation like that and i can only save one person, what should i do?" This caused everyone to think too. Shine walked over to Gon and crouched down to his level.

"Call for me then." Gon looked at her so as the others.

"eh, but Shine-san what if you're not near, then how are you going to come right away?"

"I have my ways."

"hmm...Okay then!" Gon hesitantly answered but still showed off a smile. The both of them then stood up and joined the other two as they continued their way to the cedar tree.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Shine told Gon that whenever he needs help in a dangerous situation, she'll be there as long as Gon says her name. She didn't offered that deal out of good will but out of paying a debt since Gon agreed to let her go with him to the hunters exam. She also sees a lot of potential from Gon and thought that it would be a waste if he'll die at an early age.

Remember Shine doesn't like being indebted.