Backstory - [part 1/2]

CHAPTER 4

"Don't cry snowman,not in front of me

"Don't cry snowman,
not in front of me."

NARRATOR'S P.O.V

What happened between Kageyama and Hinata?
What makes their past so bittersweet?
Let's find out.

— BACKSTORY —
3 YEARS AGO.

One Christmas night.
It was cold yet merry weather. Kozume Kenma's mom had thrown a Christmas get-together with the Hinata's, Kageyama's, and Kuroo's. Everything so far was going well until Kageyama's girlfriend, Ryoko, arrived. She stated that her car had got stuck in the snow which is why she'll be spending the Christmas night there for she can't drive home.

Which didn't necessarily sound like an honest excuse for there wasn't any snowstorm outside.

Since she was Kageyama's girlfriend, no one created a fuss about it. But to Hinata, there was a problem, it wasn't Ryoko but the boy that she had arrived here with. Yasuo was Ryoko's boy best friend. And Hinata had always doubted their relationship. Was it really friendship? Or was it a romantic relationship secretly.

"Oi. Kageyama." Hinata called out for Kageyama who was having a warm glass of milk. "What is it?" Kageyama responded. "Got a minute to spare?" Hinata asked. "Of course," Kageyama replied.
Hinata and Kageyama were having a really nice bond between them because they were childhood best friends.

And also because they were each other's first friends.

Even though Kageyama would never admit how much he fancies Hinata.

"What's the matter?" Kageyama asked as he noticed the worry on Hinata's face. "It's about Ryoko and Yasuo." Hinata started. "What about them?" Kageyama asked. "You're not gonna like this." Hinata bit his bottom lip and clenched his fists. "Spit it out already," Kageyama ordered.

"I saw them kissing in the kitchen." Hinata blurted out. "What?" Kageyama frowned. "Yes. Trust me, I'm not cooking up stories!" Hinata looked into Kageyama's eyes. "I need to talk to her," Kageyama said and headed towards Ryoko.

"Hey, Ryoko. Mind explaining to me what Hinata is talking about." Kageyama spoke up. "What do you mean?" Ryoko questioned. "He states that he saw you and Yasuo kissing in the kitchen, confirm it," Kageyama ordered. Just then Hinata joined them— standing behind Kageyama.

"Nonsense! Why would I kiss my best friend?" She smiled nervously. "Is that so?" Kageyama asked. "Yeah! Of course! Don't you trust me?" Ryoko asked. "I do." Kageyama sighed.

"Don't lie!" Hinata retorted. "Shut up you idiot! Why are you trying to break us up?" Ryoko spatted. "Kageyama. Don't listen to her. I know what I saw. I've witnessed it. Ryoko is cheating on Kageyama." Hinata folded his arms.

"What did I just hear?!" Miwa butted in. "Kageyama is being cheated on?!" Kuroo interfered. "Whoa! Why are you guys here?" Hinata asked. "Don't blame us for being curious why you four were talking so seriously," Kuroo explained. "We happened to eavesdrop." Miwa rubbed her nape in embarrassment.

"Great. Now you've created a fuss." Ryoko rolled her eyes. "I've always told you Kageyama, don't get too involved with that stupid childhood friend of yours or whatever." She clicked her tongue. "Watch your mouth!" Hinata spatted.

"Who do you think are you calling a stupid childhood friend?" Hinata furrowed his eyebrows. "Just say that you're trying to cover up what you did by blaming it all on me." Hinata walked towards her and glared at her, she was slightly shorter than him.

"Now, now, let's talk the matter out." Miwa tried to bring the situation under control which failed miserably. "I've been with him all his life and you entered his life only for a month just to cheat on him! Huh?!" Hinata raised his voice. "Chibi-chan, calm down," Kuroo said.

"Kageyama. It's up to you now to decide who you want to trust." Hinata folded his arms again. "I don't know," Kageyama mumbled, he was unfortunately blinded by fake love.

"Yasuo. Do you have feelings for Ryoko?" Miwa asked. Yasuo kept quiet. "Answer the damn question," Miwa commanded. "Maybe." Yasuo shrugged. "Give a specific answer," Kuroo ordered.

"Yes." Yasuo accepted, actually scared of the crowd that has formed around him and Ryoko.

"What're you guys doing here?" Kenma butted in along with Natsu on his side— they both were busy playing MarioKart all this time.

"Hinata states Ryoko is cheating on Kageyama with Yasuo. But Ryoko is denying that fact." Kuroo explained shortly to his boyfriend. "Huh? You mean the incident that took place in the kitchen?" Kenma asked.

"What?" Kageyama asked back. "I mean I did see them kissing or whatever in the kitchen. I just couldn't care less." Kenma shrugged. "So it is true after all." Miwa gasped. "Hinata is right after all." Kuroo gasped as well.

"Wha-what are you talking about?" Ryoko stuttered. "Nothing like that ever happened." She started breaking down in tears. That's when Natsu went running towards her mom who was talking to Kageyama's mother.

"Mom! Mom! Kuroo-nii-chan says that Ryoko-ne-san is cheating on Kageyama-nii-chan!" She complained everything causing the whole house to know. "What?!" Kageyama's mom widened her eyes before dashing towards the teenagers.

"What's going on?" Kageyama's mom asked in a worried tone. "Someone's been caught red handed." Hinata smirked. "You just want us to break up don't you?!" Ryoko spatted. "No. I'm just informing what I saw. I have a responsibility of taking care of my best friend." Hinata shook his head in disappointment.

"Accept it already." Kenma rolled his eyes. "Right." Kuroo folded his arms. "Fine. Yes. We did. She loves me and not Kageyama." Yasuo disclosed. "Goodness." Kageyama's mom gasped. "What have you been doing with Kageyama all this time?!" Hinata asked angrily. "Using him, what else do you think would she do?" Miwa rolled her eyes.

"It's about time for you to get out of this house." Kageyama's mom spoke up. "Fine. We'll leave." Ryoko said and dragged Yasuo out with her.

Once she was gone, Kageyama sat down on the couch with a thump.