CHAPTER FORTY - THREE

let's go !

——————————

THIRD PERSON

Namjoon was everything but cool. The night wasn't going the way he thought at all. He anticipated the glares and judging comments from the people here but it was worse than he imagined.

After Jimin introduced himself, he hadn't seen Joy since. More people started mistakenly asked him for food as if he was a waiter and the longer the night went on, the more he felt out of place.

Of course he wasn't glued to this wall, and he was tempted to go out looking for Joy. In all fairness, he just didn't want to get lost somewhere, or bump into another person that would ask him for a different flavor of wine.

Plus, his girlfriend hadn't been home in awhile. Being at college was the first time she'd been away from home for so long; he cut her some slack. She was probably saying her round of hellos before coming to find him again.

But he could hardly believe that would take two hours.

Now he was sitting on a purple loveseat in a room that was two steps away from the wall he had been glued on.

He tried to adjust his face to not look so solemn. He could tell people glanced at him once and awhile — either to double check if they'd known him or double check if they'd never met him — and the occasional hello from a girl occurred (not for long though as he would just wave them away or completely ignore them).

Namjoon finally decided to go look for Joy (after countless attempts). He was saying 'excuse me' every second and avoiding all eye contact. With each passing minute and every corner that he turned he found no sight of his girlfriend. He began to worry a bit, asking waiters if they've seen her but he got no answer.

Then the whispers started. Eyes staring directly at his neck as his tattoo peaked through. He cursed at himself for not covering it. Even though it was to satisfy the people that his girlfriend was associated with. The same people that embarrassed him. It made him laugh at times but for Joy it was worth it.

"Where the hell is she," He whispered as he walked down the long corridor and towards the back of the villa. It was peaceful at the back; no one to judge him or ask him for another platter of cheese. It was just Namjoon and his thoughts.

His thoughts were telling him to leave. Honestly ditch this party, find his car and get as far away as possible. Everything around him was making him uncomfortable. This suit he wore was uncomfortable. The awkward conversations made him uncomfortable. The side ways glances that he was getting made him uncomfortable.

It was just a shit show and the only person who could all make it better wasn't here. Namjoon sighed and leaned against the windowsill in the hallway. Peaking through the curtains he saw the garden outside, not even amazed of how big it was either.

What he was more amazed about was his girlfriend, parading by the hedges with the one guys he disliked the most.

Jimin and Joy were standing so close to each other, and if you looked at a certain angle it almost looked as if they were holding hands. Namjoon was stunned; in awe as he watched his girlfriend smile the way she did around him. A smile he thought was only meant for him.

There was this sudden pressure that weighed his body down like an anchor as he silently watched in agony. Namjoon didn't want to make any rash movements but this was breaking him. The love of his life, probably talking to someone that should have been hers.

Someone that wasn't him.

They paused in their tracks, a winter breeze whisking by. That's when Jimin looked up and saw him, stunned at first but then relaxed when he saw the anger in Namjoon's eyes. Jimin smirked knowing he had the upper hand on a field Namjoon had never played before.

They both knew and that's what broke the college student the most. As long as money and status is involved, he had none. He was bottom of the food chain, struggling to get by.

"What are you looking at?" Joy asked and turned around but Namjoon was already gone.

***

TAEGAN

I was home for the first time in months. I was more than happy to be home, ecstatic even, to see my people again. It was sad not to have Joy with me but I knew we were in a rough patch and needed this space.

I needed space to think about where we stood on our dreams and our friendship. That's if I can still call it that. Mom's words haven't left my brain since her first chat with Penelope (that went extremely well to my surprise). That same baffling question on repeat in my head for nights on end now, "Did she want to pursue it? Or did you?"

Of course she wanted to pursue it! Well, at the time she did, but now I'm not sure what she wanted to pursue. One thing I know for sure is that she changed.

My Joy has changed and it's only up until now that I've realized what sort of change it is. It wasn't anything bad, yet why was I so afraid of it?

Before I could make my brain explode, Penelope attacks my face with thousands of pecks, distracting me like she usually does.

"You're dozing off again when I need you right here with me." She smiled at me and locked her hand with mine. No matter how many times I've seen it, my heart won't stop beating out of control. The butterflies in my stomach I would soon later vomit out from all the affection that she shows me. It was different but I loved it. I wanted to be drowned in it. A love that was actually healthy.

"I'm not dozing off," I smiled before bringing her face to mine and kissing her lips gently. She blushed but it only made her smile wider.

"Now you're most definitely stalling." Our eyes were locked on each other. In this car we had our own world; moments like these were always my favorite.

We weren't exactly at my house, yet. But I spent more time at this place than my actual house.

"Welcome to the Monroe Boutique," I said once Penelope and me got out of the car. With arms spread out I looked up to the place I remember the most from my childhood.

—————————————

2.2.2022
hopefully something magical happens today