CHAPTER THIRTY- SEVEN

__________________

TAEGAN

"Joy's at home studying for a test," I lied, taking a sip of the latte in front of me.

My mom, Elaine, raised an eyebrow. "Joy? Studying? C'mon, baby, you're going to have to come up with a better excuse than that. She would never choose to study over seeing me." Elaine chuckled, crossing her arms and sitting back.

My mom was in town to do a dress fitting for a bride and decided to come see me, too. The business was getting more and more popular these days, and it's because of that business that I'm able to be at Swan Academy. My mom worked her ass off to pay for my dream school and I'm more than grateful for this woman.

"Can we not talk about Joy and me right now? I came to see you to get away from that." I smiled sarcastically.

"Why are you two fighting?" Elaine asked in a high-pitched tone, leaning forward on her arms.

"We're not, mom. It's just a busy week for her."

"I heard the rats were in town. Does that have to do with anything?"

"Oh-ho, yeah. It's terrifying that the stunt her parents pulled is normal. Taehyung was an angel as always."

"Oh, I miss that gentleman. Tell Joy to tell him to come by the shop sometime and keep me company." Elaine swat her hand.

"He would be there regardless. It's not like she needs me to tell her."

"Oh really now? Tia, what really happened?"

I sighed. I was stubborn as my mother was persistent. "You're not going to let go of this until I tell you, are you?"

Elaine shrugged. "My two daughters need to have a mediator."

I gave in. "Do you remember why Joy and I chose Swan Academy?"

"To write. According to both of your protests, the writing program there is one of the best."

"Exactly. And do you remember what we agreed on doing?"

Elaine nodded. "Since you two met you immediately began planning your future careers in writing. I've never seen the both of you so happy talking about working together so I don't understand—"

"Right, you've never seen the both of us so happy, right? So why the hell would she ever switch up on me?"

Elaine made a face of disbelief. "What do you mean?"

I huffed and sat up straight. "Joy entered a fine arts showcase and won a scholarship to the Paradise School of Fine Arts. She's leaving me, mom. After we've spoken about this for years!" I threw my hands up.

This entire thing has me itching my skin and retracing my steps as to where this idea popped up in her head. The more thought I put into it, the more upset I got. None of what she is doing makes sense.