CHAPTER FORTY - TWO

on today's episode...

________________

JOY

"Ring the doorbell."

I stood there idly next to a patient Namjoon who had told me to ring the doorbell three times already.

"Just press the button, princess, you can do it." He singsonged, which in return he received a death stare and a comment about the beginning of his funeral plans.

"You know, we can just turn around and go back to campus," I said, facing the door.

"Okay, I guess I'm ringing it, then." Namjoon pushed the doorbell, and the familiar sound of the grand ringing could be heard from outside the large, white door.

We could hear my mother ask for our maid to answer the door, and I quickly whispered in the time we had, "I didn't tell my family you were coming."

Namjoon's mouth opened wide as he exclaimed in disbelief, "You what?"

The door opened to a new maid, one I hadn't seen before. Lately, my mother has been firing maids for doing the slightest bit wrong and then hiring new ones just to fire them for their wrongdoings, too.

"Miss Valentine, so wonderful to see you!" The maid stepped aside to welcome us in.

"I've never seen you," I muttered to myself.

"Your parents are in the living area, would you like a cup of coffee?"

"I—"

"She drinks tea." Namjoon nods. He was stiff — hands in his pockets, flat smile, space between us, and eyes wandering around the room to obviously avoid contact with mine.

"Of course. Tea is on its way." The maid turned around and left the entryway. As soon as she was gone, Namjoon cleared his throat.

"So you didn't tell them I was coming. I assume you have a plan for their outbursting excitement to see me?" He finally moved closer to me, touching shoulders with mine and whispering down into my ear.

"Don't worry. I have a game plan," I said as we both slowly began walking towards the living room.

"Uh-huh, and what's that? We walk in, say hello, and sip tea together for five days?"

"If it sounds good to you?" I stopped in front of the doors that would open to where my parents were. "Just follow my lead." I held my hand out for him.

He grabbed my waist instead and whispered when my hand touched the doorknob. "In case it becomes a slaughter fest, I want you to know that I peeked at one of my presents."

I pushed his arm away and whisper shouted. "Kim Namjoon!"

"And I love you." He shrugged, taking my hand and facing the door. "Whenever you're ready, princess."

I huffed, my hand on the doorknob, twisting it to open. "I'm never ready to face my family."

The door opened and my parents sat there, looking clean and uncluttered as ever. They sat dressed in their usual attire — my mom with a pencil skirt and blouse, my dad in his suit. Firm faces of question as their eyes drifted from me to the man beside me.