Chapter 19: Moving On

At lunch, I sat with Chase, Cory, Luke, and Lynn. Mason wasn't with them, so Lynn and I moved. She didn't even care that Keaton didn't come. She was too worried about me. I told her right after I told my dad. I don't know why, but I begged both Lynn and my dad not to hurt Mason.

I told the the boys, other than Chase, about what Mason did to me. They were both mad and felt bad for me. Cory said he would yell at Mason later.

At the end of the day, I was putting away my books happily knowing I could leave school. Cory would meet me at my locker to walk home.

"Beth," I heard Mason's voice behind me. I mentally groaned. I didn't want to see him. I turned around at him, and I slapped him, hard, across the face.

"There goes any chance of me apologizing for sleeping with Karen. I only did it because of your twisted 'prank.' And I feel no remorse for what I said earlier," he spat.

I wanted to shout at him, but my spirits lifted when I saw Cory walking this way. He saw Mason and ran towards me. Chase wasn't far behind him.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Cory yelled at his best friend.

"That's funny," Mason said darkly, "I can't believe you took part in this bullshit. I'll admit I've done some stupid stuff. But you know me, Cory, my past, and you helped her hurt me. You know I'm not a player."

Guilt hit me hard. I couldn't imagine the pain Mason felt as all his friends stood on my side. But Chase came to me and I went into Chase's arms once more. His chest muffled all surroundings.

"I'll take you and Cory home. It'll be quicker." Chase said taking me out the school doors and to his car. He put me in the passengers side. Cory slowly followed us. He didn't express his emotions.

Once we arrived to our houses, Cory hopped out and walked into his house. Chase got out of the car with me and walked me up to my house.

"You okay?" He asks worriedly.

"No I'm not okay," I say pushing the tears, wanting to come out, down.

Chase, again, hugs me. I give him a fake smile and turn to walk inside. Chase turns me around, stares at me for a split second, and kisses my lips. I'm taken by surprise, but I like it. Chase holds my hips, and he brings me in closer. I let him and kiss him back. He lets go smiling.

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that, but I couldn't 'cause of Mason," he says.

"Now I know why you volunteered first to be my fake boyfriend. It would mean kissing me." I smile. He shrugs. "Well now you can be my real boyfriend."

Chase's eyes go wide, and his smile goes wider. "No thanks," he says, his smile falling.

My smile fades, and I'm confused. What?

"I kid," he says, his smile returns, and he laughs. No wonder he's the prankster of the school. He got me. He brings me in for another kiss, and I don't stop him. This kiss isn't as long as the first, but it is equally good. Wonder what Mason would do if he found out about us. Probably some other girl, but now I don't care because I have Chase.

I leave Chase and walk into my house.

"I approve of Chase," my dad yells from the kitchen.

I laugh and walk into the kitchen to see my dad. I grab a snack, and I walk upstairs to text Lynn. I pick up the bag of sunflower seeds and start to throw them at Cory's window. He opens it up. "If you keep that up, the whole bag with be down there," he says pointing at ground.

"I know," I say. "And then I'll have to get a whole new packet."

"What is it?" a hint of sadness lined his voice.

"I'm dating Chase."

"Nice," he says avoiding eye contact. "Wait 'till Mason finds out about that."

"I know," I sigh.