Chapter 12: An Evil In This World

The guys and I are going to the haunted maze thing on Halloween night, wanna go?

I really don't like scary stuff

Don't worry you'll be fine. You'll have me ;)

Ugh. Ok fine.

I finish up texting Mason. I change out of my pajamas and into a dark green sweater and dark blue jeans. I pull on my black boots and put my hair into a messy ponytail. It's a cold fall day, and I don't really care how I look. I leave the house, late, and by myself. I wanted to take time and eat.

The day doesn't start easy. I'm given homework in almost all my morning classes. Keaton and Lynn weren't with us at lunch. It was only me and Jason eating together. It was an awkward lunch. Jason had only seen Lynn and Keaton this morning. I haven't seen or talked to Lynn in weeks. I don't know what's going on. I'm beyond confused. Mr. Smith gave our whole class two pages of equations to do. Luke feels my pain with doing math.

~~~~~~

I got home to see my dad making food while trying to tie a tie. He left after his last class; like usual. "I have a date tonight," he said when he saw me, "you and Billie are in charge of serving dinner and cleaning it up afterward." I'm beyond proud of my dad finding someone, I'm just not if he's completely ready for this.

I walk up to my room, set down my backpack, and get out my to text Mason.

Hey.

Hi. He immediately texts back.

I have to clean tonight. My Dad's going on a date.

Yep. I have to make my own supper cuz my mom's going somewhere.

Wish me luck. I have to do homework and then clean :(

I get to work on my math pages. It takes me an hour to complete all of my equations. "Come down to eat! I'm leaving now." My father yells up the stairs. We all rush downstairs to eat. My father puts on his shoes an leaves the house after reminding me to clean up. After getting our food, we sit in the living room and fight over what movie to watch.

The girls watch the movie while Billie and I clean up the messy kitchen. I wipe off the counter and deliver the dirty dishes to her while she puts the dishes into the dishwasher. After cleaning up, I run up the stairs to finish my homework.

Put on a swimsuit. Mason texts me.

Why? I reply.

We're going for a swim. Duh.

I close my curtains, and find my swimsuit. I quickly change in my swimsuit, and I put on shorts and a sweatshirt. I receive a text from Mason saying he's outside. I freak out for a moment before running out the house.

I'm going out with a friend. I text Billie quickly.

I get on Mason's motorcycle behind him. He drives me to the same spot we went to the other day. "So what's this for?" I ask him.

"Thought you could use a break," he smirks. He takes off his shirt and lies it on the sand. I take off my sweatshirt and shorts, and I join him in the water.

After being tossed into the water, chasing after Mason, and swimming with him, I get out exhaustedly. I put on my shorts, and I sit on a rock that overlooks the ocean. I watch as Mason goes under the water. An arm wraps around me while my mouth is covered by a hand. I try to scream and bite the owners hand. I'm being dragged off the rock and away from the ocean. The arm around my bare stomach squeezes harder. "Beth!" I hear Mason yell. I can't see him by my hair covering my face as I try to escape the person's grip. The person yells in pain and lets me go. I fall onto the sand hard getting it in my mouth and eyes, and I'm breathing heavily.

Mason gently picks me up off the ground. He carries me to a flat rock and sets me down. "Are you okay?" He asks seriously. I shake my head; my voice can't reach the surface. "Did he do anything to you? Are you hurt? Did he touch you anywhere that is uncomfortable for you?"

"No, not really. He grabbed and squeezed it hard though," I say rubbing where the man had grabbed me.

Mason's knuckles are bloody; he had punched the man.

"Thank you," I say, curling into a tiny ball. He puts his arms around me, but my whole body shakes in rejection to his touch.

"I'm sorry."

He gets up to gather our things; he puts on his t-shirt and brings me my sweatshirt. I grab it from his hands and hold it to me. It wasn't the fact that I was wearing a bathing suit that the man grabbed me. I hoped Mason knew it. I could be dressed head-to-toe and still feel how I feel right now. I didn't put on my sweatshirt for that reason, and I didn't was to close my eyes for longer than I needed to. I didn't cry because of that.