Page 36

A/N: What do you think of Brumestar? Be sure to upvote, it really helps me out. Don't forget to reply with what your character does. Thank you for reading, it means a lot that there are people out there who appreciate my work.

"Y/Nkit, come here. Tell Brindleclaw vhat is wrong," comes the oddly sympathetic voice of your mother. You barely process it, to you everything still feels like a dream. "Fine zen. If little kit vill not come to Brindleclaw, Brindleclaw vill come to little kit." You here a shuffling behind you, and feel the prickle of Brindleclaw's long unkempt fur against your pelt. Her orange eyes are suddenly staring into yours. "Now explain."

You shrink back involuntarily, reminded of the giant red eye. You let out a small mew, then clear your throat. "I had a... scary dream. It was terrible."

Brindleclaw laughs loudly. "Oh, vas zat all? Not to worry, little kit. Real vorld is much more terrible place than dream could ever be."

"Wow, thanks for cheering me up. I feel so much better now," you say sarcastically, getting to your paws.

"Of course you do. Vith Brindleclaw, you have nothing to fear but me, little kit." She looks you up and down. "No, zhat's wrong. You are not such little kit anymore. More like Bigkit. Perhaps I should change your name." You chuckle despite yourself. You shift your weight from one paw to another. You realize Brindleclaw is right. Standing up, you're nearly as tall as her.

"It is good that you awake now, sleepyhead," says Brindleclaw. "Brumestar says she vanted to talk vith you, although Brindleclaw can't imagine why." You easily cross the floor of the nursery den and peer outside. The ceiling of the nursery den presses done at the entrance, forcing you to bend your head way down to see into camp. You stick your head out, sighing as a gentle breeze blows through your pelt.

The sun is warm but gentle, unlike some of the harsher days in Greenleaf. Now your pelt doesn't feel like it's turning into a small stream every time you step outside. You like this new season so far, what the elders call leaffall. The grass growing around camp has grown a little brittle, but the cheerful bright yellow sunflowers and the pink little crocus peeking out from the shade of the willows more than make up for it. The sweet vanilla smell mixes with the tangy scent of fresh kill sitting on the pile.

The pile looks about the same compared to what you remember from earlier on in your kithood. After the scare with the two rogues, Brumestar had to assign more and more cats to border patrols. Gradually sightings died down and tensions receded, but it had a noticeable effect on the clan's food supply. Thankfully prey is so abundant in Greenleaf, or WillowClan might have been facing real hunger. The slim pickings of a couple mice, a vole, and shrew still make your mouth water. The cats who pass by might seem a little thinner and wary, but when they see you it's all smiles and congratulations. Your rescue of Sparrowkit is still the talk of the clan, most cats have gone out of their way to show how much they appreciate you with little gifts and friendly greetings. Maplestrike returns from the hunt, a plump squirrel in his jaws. He gives you a friendly nod and pads over. You wake a little ways out to meet him.

The grey and brown tabby tom sets the squirrel in front of you. His normally stern yellow eyes twinkle as he gives you a friendly smile. "Ah, and there's the cat who saved my son. Please, take this squirrel as a token of my appreciation," he says warmly.

"Are you sure?" you ask, shifting from paw to paw. This is the eighth time he's given you prey since that day three moons ago.

"Of course," says Maplestrike, nudging the squirrel towards you. "You showed more bravery when you saved my kit at three moons old than most full grown warriors."

"Bravery... or foolishness?" said a cold voice from behind you. You turn around, only to see a dusty yellow-cream tabby looming above you, her large copper eyes narrowed in a glare. You reflexively tuck your tail between your legs and take a step back. This grumpy molly is Brumestar.

"With all due respect, Brumestar, what Y/Nkit was brave without question. It takes real spirit to face two rogues at such a young age," retorted Maplestrike, taking a protective step in front of you.

Brumestar scoffed. "Spirit. This clan is drowning in cats with spirit. Give me wisdom and common sense any moon over foolish, impulsive moves that could get a cat killed. They should have just run and found a cat actually capable of handling the situation instead of potentially getting themselves captured too." You move towards the squirrel and take a bite, not eager to get involved in an adult squabble.

"That spirit you take for granted saved my son's life. I'd try to remember that," said Maplestrike pointedly. "Good day, Brumestar." Without another word, he turned tail and slipped into the Warrior's den.

Brumestar seemed like she was about to say something when Brindleclaw rushed out of the nursery den. "Oh Brumestar, zere you are. Brindleclaw vanted to be here to see vhat you zink of Brindleclaw's pride and moderate joy."

"I see," said Brumestar, unamused. She turned to you abruptly, nearly causing you to choke on a bite of squirrel. "You there, Y/Nkit, was it? Stand up so I can get a proper look at you."

Reluctantly, you obey and stand up. Brumestar seems to size you up, pushing your muzzle up for closer with one of her paws. Brindleclaw hisses almost impercetibly as Brumestar mutters to herself. She then turns to Brindleclaw. "Well, you've raised a fine cat. They seem to be in good physical condition. I'm not sure about mental though."

You frown at her bad attitude. "Hmm, still not sure," grumbles Brumestar. "Nevertheless, you have the makings of a fine warrior."

"Da," agrees Brindleclaw. "Now you vill let Brindleclaw go back to being varrior? Zis kit is finest Brindleclaw has ever raised!"

"Hey!" shrieks your sister Ravenkit from the nursery den.

"Yes Brindleclaw, you may go back to being a warrior now that your queen duties are done," said Brumestar. Then she turns back to you. "But maybe a warrior's path isn't for you. Would you rather choose the way of medicine cat?"

1.Hunting cunning and tasty prey, fighting the clan's enemies with fang and tooth, and even the chance to rule the clan some day as leader? The Path of the Warrior Cat is just what you're looking for! (Go to page 38.)

2.No, healing your clanmates, speaking to StarClan in your dreams, having the leader's ear in all important decisions and being able to travel wherever you want in the clans is a much better deal! The life of a Medicine Cat is the one for you! (Go to Page 39.)

3.Neither! Raising/baring the next generation, finding the cat of your dreams, raising future leaders and medicine cats that will do whatever their loving parent tells them to do. Best of all, getting all the perks of clan life without having to hunt or fight. The life of the Queen is the one for you! (Go to Page 40.)

4.You don't want to grow up! Why can't you just stay a kit forever instead? (Go to Page 41.)