Page 21

From the first strike of Eaglekit's claws, you realize you've made a terrible mistake. You've never learned how to fight before, and now you somehow have to take down this older and stronger tom all on your own? You try to claw Eaglekit back, but he soon sends you to the ground with a flurry of blows. Sparrowkits gasps and rushes to your side.

You fall to the earth, worn and sore. A part of you wants to give and just race back to Brindleclaw. You know she'd protect you. But a spark ignites in your heart as you see Eaglekit celebrating his win. Grunting, you force yourself to get up for another round. Eaglekit barely has time to turn his head before you pounce at him. For a few moments, life is a whirl of fur and claws as you two roll around in the ground, locked in combat. You feel your strength draining as he slowly gains the upper hand again.

Once again, Eaglekit tosses you aside, leaving you bleeding on the ground. He stalks towards you, an eerie smile playing on his lips and his eyes dead. A horrified shriek is frozen on Sparrowkit's face but no sounds comes out of his mouth. Suddenly, Ravenkit jumps between the two of you. "Ugh, what are we even doing here? You've had your fun with her already, let's just go," she complains. Eaglekit frowns but nods.

"Not. So. Fast," drawls a voice. You look up at sleek tom, dark as night except for a single white dot under his muzzle. His piercing green eyes glare down at Eaglekit and Ravenkit. Eaglekit stares defiantly back, but Ravenkit looks away. "Ravenkit, return to the nursery den. You shall be confined there for a moon. So shall Eaglekit... pending his treatment in the medicine den."

"But-" Eaglekit tries to retort.

"No buts," interrupted the tom. "You are trying my patience and that is a very dangerous thing to do. One more word out of your mouth and your apprenticeship is in jeopardy. Do I make myself clear?" Eaglekit nodded. "Good." Scowling, Eaglekit stomped to the medicine den.

The tom looked at you next, like you were a particularly intriguing piece of prey. "Challenging a cat one moon your elder to a fight? You must be brave... or particularly foolish."

"Uh, thanks?" you manage, wincing slightly at the pain. "Who are you?"

The tom's eyes widened slightly. "You mean you don't know? Very well, I am Darkmask, the deputy of WillowClan by the grace of Brumestar. It is my job to ensure that no foolish spectacles like the one that occurred today happen in our clan." His eyes narrow. "And I am very good at my job."

You gulp. "Uh sir?" squeaks Sparrowkit. "Can I take her to the medicine den?"

Darkmask gives a slight nod. "You may." He glares down at you. "And you, try to remember to stay out of trouble. I am always watching..." As Sparrowkit helps you walk to the medicine den, you swear you can feel his gaze following you.

Gain one point of Warrior Training. Go to page 26.

A/N: Don't forget to upvote, add the story to your library and reply. Thanks, it really helps me out. Happy Valentine's day!